• Register Today It's free!

Removing the stereo system

Nick623

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
I am in the process of removing the entire stereo and radio system. I removed the rear passenger quarter trim panel and there are three pieces under there. One is a long black plastic piece and there are the two silver boxes too. What are those for?

I removed the silver box to the far left with several wires plugged into it and my door locks continued to lock and unlock by itself. How do I prevent this kind of thing after removing the stereo system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 01 and it was not too hard. Do you know if yours has an amp built in? Mine did not. There are wiring harness adapters available to use with aftermarket radios. I did not have to fiddle with anything in the back at all. The radio came out, unplugged the antenna, a block with 3 rows of pins and a block with 2 rows of pins. the 3 row is not ued with aftermarket. My 01 has rear radio controls in the back seat. Hope that helps

Yes mine has the amp built in. I would like to remove all the three pieces from under the rear passenger quarter panel and install nothing in its place. Just a simple removal of everything. How do I do this without screwing up any electrical stuff?

easiest thing to do would be to get an amp bypass harness that is specific to your vehicle. check out crutchfield, or someplace like that.

easiest thing to do would be to get an amp bypass harness that is specific to your vehicle. check out crutchfield, or someplace like that.

I agree with FaFa. I have actually done this, using the Crutchfield harness. Today I finally got around to pulling the defunct CD changer out today. It is held in with double sided foam mounting tape.

And this amp bypass harness will allow me to run no amp or is amp bypasses to be used with aftermarket amps?

And this amp bypass harness will allow me to run no amp or is amp bypasses to be used with aftermarket amps?

Either or.. Depending if you will be running another amp from your new deck or if you will be using your new decks internal amp

I will not be running any amps, I will not be running anything from the stereo system.

Then do the bypass, Nick.

Back