• Register Today It's free!

Removing valve body in 55R5S

pet575

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
I'm pretty handy and good with cars but have done zero transmission work outside of dropping a pan to change fluid.

How hard is this to do? Is this something I could do in less than a couple of hours? Is it really just a matter of getting all the bolts out or is there some special procedure/process to follow to make sure nothing gets broken and/or everything gets put back in correctly?

I have a manual on the transmission, just looking for some tips if there are any.

You will have to get the solenoid block out of the way first, which requires a bit of patience and perseverance. A cut-down 10mm ratcheting combination wrench is worth the cost for getting the connector loose on the top of it. The shift linkage will need removed as well. There are probably ~16 bolts on the pan, 4 on the filter, ~20 on the valve body, plus 8 torx bit bolts on the solenoid block. It is a messy pain to do, and can get tedious if doing it by hand. You will also need to be able to pump transmission fluid back into it through the drain plug. There are probably lots of applicable posts you can dig around on for more information.

Why do you need to get the valve body out? As long as you are doing so, there are some minor upgrades that should be considered at a minimum, as well as a new filter.

I'm familiar with the filter/fluid change process as I've done that before on this vehicle. Just never touched the solenoid block or anything else.

I'm wanting to remove the valve body to replace the part discussed in this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390876

My testing of the solenoid has been inconclusive and so this is the next route I'm heading. The part is $30 so I figure it is worth a shot so long as I can do this replacement myself. Don't know that I want to do a whole lot more without knowing if this is my fix since I might be facing a rebuild and will likely just get rid of the vehicle if that is the route I end up having to go.

Back