Removing Warning Stickers From Visors | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Warning Stickers From Visors

I removed the warning labels from my push mower. Whenever I attend mower shows on Wednesdays I always get complimented on how clean my mower looks without the stickers.

The only drawback is that I don't have either Big Toe on my feet...That's my own fault for not being able to remember the warnings given to me.
Thanks for making another case for leaving the stickers in place. ;):thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I attempted to remove them from my 2012 , let's just say they look amazing in the Sport.

Remove the visors, and have them recovered in the same factory material, or matching leather.

Annoying Visor Warnings

Has anyone found an effective way to remove those annoying yellow stickers on the visors? I didn't want to start peeling them off and only get them partially off.

MFE III, using the forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and have moved yours here.

Peter

Has anyone found an effective way to remove those annoying yellow stickers on the visors? I didn't want to start peeling them off and only get them partially off.

What worked fro me was to remove the visors from the car, take them in the house, lay them on the ironing board, lay a wet paper towel over the sticker, go over the stickers with a "HOT" iron checking often to see when they release. when you get the temperature right they peal off easily but do leave some residue.
The residue is hot glue and has to be heated to remove it. Use the same wet paper towel technique to soften the glue and immediately wipe it with naphtha or similar cleaning fluid.
I had to repeat the clean up 2 times but when I was done you couldn't tell the stickers were ever there.
Then on the passenger side I put a custom sticker on that says "DO NOT LOWER WINDOWS AT SPEEDS ABOVE 140mph"

Do not remove under penalty of law!

WHY? The labels carry potentially life saving information.

Peter

If you don't already know all the info contained on these ugly stickers you shouldn't be driving.

If you don't already know all the info contained on these ugly stickers you shouldn't be driving.

Truth...if someone actually needs those stupid stickers to survive, I don't want them in my gene pool anyway.

Truth...if someone actually needs those stupid stickers to survive, I don't want them in my gene pool anyway.

ALL vehicles have these warning labels on them....I could care less if they are there or not...sure, they aren't pretty...but who cares really....no one riding in the vehicle will notice one way or the other if they are there or not.....For those feeling the need to remove them and end up ruining the look even more, YOU are all from a gene pool that I would have concerns with......

It ruins the stance, Bro. How can I be all lowered and staggered and tinted and LED'd and de-badged with those yellow stickers? Bro.

ALL vehicles have these warning labels on them....I could care less if they are there or not...sure, they aren't pretty...but who cares really....no one riding in the vehicle will notice one way or the other if they are there or not.....For those feeling the need to remove them and end up ruining the look even more, YOU are all from a gene pool that I would have concerns with......

I don't care either way myself. Mine are there and doesn't effect me at all.

BUT, if YOU need visor stickers to manage yourself behind the wheel, I'll assume that you and I aren't swimming in the same pool anyway.:thumbsup:

950 posts and you don't know how?
headbanger_zps7vs3en6l.gif

Get a 'Photobucket' account. Upload all you pics there. Use the 'IMG' code to copy and paste into your posts here.

Easy, peasy, even you can do it!!!

I don't know how to post pics!:)

I thought about removing mine, but chemicals and heat and that visor material made me think I would be buying another set after I screwed them up.

Honestly, after just a little while, I didn't even notice them. I don't even think about them now.

Just ordered the Remin real carbon fiber complete kit from CARiD that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Will not use all the pieces, just want to get rid of the three texture interior trim. The painted silver plastic + the metal trim (that is embossed as carbon fiber??) will be covered by items from the kit giving a uniform carbon fiber look.

Anyway, regarding the yellow sun visor stickers, they're history at the same time I do the carbon fiber overlay install. I'll use the heat + goo gone technique. Each to his/her own, but I detest stickers on pretty much anything. I know from past experience that I'll be much happier with them gone.

I'll post some pics of the CF overlays and sticker removal process when I'm done.

Rgds, Fred

Sticker removal successful! The Sport was setting out in the sun all day because I was working on a project in the garage. Went to put the Explo back in the garage and the stickers were calling me. The interior was pretty warm so I though why not give it a try. Had all three stickers off and the glue cleaned in about 30 min.

Here's a few points to consider :

- The glue would have released easier if the stickers had been hotter. Be careful though, the visor material is synthetic and it will melt if overheated.
- go slowly, the visor material will stretch
- The passenger side sticker on my Sport was different from the driver side stickers. In the pic you can see that it looks like it has a clear layer over the sticker. It also left more of a ghost than the driver side stickers. Still a-ok though.
- The stickers did leave some ghosting on the visor material. I think it is due to the heat used when applying the stickers.
- I applied some goo gone via a microfiber cloth along the peel line. It helped the glue release. I also used Goo Gone to clean the glue residue off of the visor material with a micro fiber cloth.
- Couldn't have done it without the Goo Gone. My Sport is the dark charcoal / ebony so no problem with goo gone staining or discoloring the visor, but I'm sure there could be a problem on lighter color fabric.
- YMMV : just because it worked for me doesn't mean that it will work for you! You could easily damage the visors beyond repair.

I'm very happy with my results. Remin carbon fiber kits (two required to overlay the embossed metal areas) will ship on 09 jun so I'll post a separate thread for the installation sometime after the 9th.

Here are some pics of the sticker removal. They're intentionally overexposed to show the ghosting (full disclosure of the result). Under normal lighting they look great.

large.gif

large.gif

large.gif

large.gif

large.gif

Rgds, Fred

Yep, that worked

Thanks to everyone here, I now have no stickers on my visors. I bought a new 2016 Ford Explorer XLT, and love it, except for those stickers. So I followed the advice here, and it worked. They are gone, and you would have to carefully examine the visors, in extremely bright light, to see any indication that the stickers were ever there.

A couple of thoughts.

Yes, the stickers peel off. It's a bear, though, getting them started. But once you do, careful that they don't tear off in pieces,rather than all at once. No big deal if they shred; just takes longer.

The Goo Gone worked - but be careful with it - it will spatter everywhere. Wipes off clean, especially with a damp paper towel, but still.

In my experience, the microfiber didn't work. Tried and tried. No good. And I felt I had made a BIG mistake, since using the microfiber cloths and Goo Gone, I was still left with three very obvious patches of shiny glue. I thought I had ruined the visors.

So I soaked one of those blue shop-type paper towels in Goo Gone, and really leaned into it. That worked. Took a while, though...about an hour total. But it worked.

The stickers are completely gone. And the car interior looks 100% better. No distractions above the eyes, just the road ahead.

Thanks again for the good advice here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks to everyone here, I now have no stickers on my visors. I bought a new 2016 Ford Explorer XLT, and love it, except for those stickers. So I followed the advice here, and it worked. They are gone, and you would have to carefully examine the visors, in extremely bright light, to see any indication that the stickers were ever there.

A couple of thoughts.

Yes, the stickers peel off. It's a bear, though, getting them started. But once you do, careful that they don't tear off in pieces,rather than all at once. No big deal if they shred; just takes longer.

The Goo Gone worked - but be careful with it - it will spatter everywhere. Wipes off clean, especially with a damp paper towel, but still.

In my experience, the microfiber didn't work. Tried and tried. No good. And I felt I had made a BIG mistake, since using the microfiber cloths and Goo Gone, I was still left with three very obvious patches of shiny glue. I thought I had ruined the visors.

So I soaked one of those blue shop-type paper towels in Goo Gone, and really leaned into it. That worked. Took a while, though...about an hour total. But it worked.

The stickers are completely gone. And the car interior looks 100% better. No distractions above the eyes, just the road ahead.

Thanks again for the good advice here.
When I'm driving, with my attention "on the road ahead", I don't even notice the stickers.

Peter

Back