Replaced Battery, will crank good, but now it will not fire/start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced Battery, will crank good, but now it will not fire/start

TxBucki1

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Noticed my 1998 Explorer was getting hard to start and checked battery, and just sitting not running, read 11.4V. It was at the end of the warranty period and figured, it's time. Went and got a new battery, popped it in, read 12.5V. Tried starting the car, and it would crank, but not fire/start. Seems strange just replacing battery with a new one and now it will not start up. It was struggling last 2 or 3 times b/c it seemed low battery, and now...it just won't. Any suggestions on even where to start?

Thanks in advance..Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for spark and fuel pressure. Check the related fuses for the fuel and ignition systems.

Noticed my 1998 Explorer was getting hard to start and checked battery, and just sitting not running, read 11.4V. It was at the end of the warranty period and figured, it's time. Went and got a new battery, popped it in, read 12.5V. Tried starting the car, and it would crank, but not fire/start. Seems strange just replacing battery with a new one and now it will not start up. It was struggling last 2 or 3 times b/c it seemed low battery, and now...it just won't. Any suggestions on even where to start?

Thanks in advance..Ed
1. Check for spark. use Spark plug tester
2. Do you hear the fuel pump? If not try starting fluid.

Is the PATS light on the dash, blinking rapidly when cranking it? I vaguely recall some people had PATS act up with power loss, but don't recall the resolution besides the same PATS procedures as always, scan for a trouble code using a scan tool capable of Ford-specific codes, then it might have corrupted the key ID or something so it needs the key programmed back in.

If not PATS, then I'd start with the basics such as do you have (approx.) 35PSI fuel pressure on the fuel rail? Are the plugs firing? Are there any other OBD2 or Ford specific trouble codes set? Is it getting a crankshaft position sensor signal while cranking?

I'll do pressure test and I'll listen for fuel pump. No OBD2 codes...

No theft light flashing. I did hear fuel pump. Will check fuel pressure in a few days along with spark.

I did fuel pressure check and it read 35 psi while it was cranking...This good? Next up I may just clean the MAF and see if that does anything since it's easy. if that does not work, I'll go to spark...

Does the check engine light illuminate while cranking?

Yes on the check engine light, it does illuminate. Plugged in ODB2 scanner..nothing....Cleaned MAF..nothing changed. Did spark test on 2 plugs.Nothing..No sparky, no worky....

Now where do I start? This seems really strange as I just changed batteries, and now it won't turnover...

FYI..Checked Fuse 19..good to go...

Check, probe the coil pack and for supply voltage at the connector with a multi meter.

Crank or Cam sensor likely...

Step 6 ?

I'd hook up a scan tool capable of live data and see if the crankshaft position sensor is working while cranking.

I took out fuse 19 (PCM Power Diode) just to check it (read this somewhere) and it was good, plugged it back in. Read response to this post that it might be crankshaft position sensor, so I located it, took it out and inspected it. Cleaned it up a bit and put it back. Ordered new one ($20 cheap enough) so I figured why not...Was going to move Explorer down the driveway, by putting in neutral and coasting, but I put key into ignition by habit and figured I'd give it a shot, and wa-la....Started right up. Did this over the weekend numerous times and each time it started. Wonder if the Fuse was loose or??? Or the cable/contacts on the Sensor was loose/dirty....not sure, but...Hanging onto the sensor for awhile just in case....

Thanks for all the help. I really like the No Start Engine Problem step by step!!

Hopefully we can call this closed. If not, I'll be back..

Thanks in advance..Ed
Try a new
Power control Mo dual good to have one on hand anyway
Burnt mine by using a supposed fuel saver plug in ??!!

Back