Replaced Starter & Bad Connections | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced Starter & Bad Connections

Natch

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport
Greetings,

I am having a problem with a repalcement starter. Frequently when I turn the ignition the starter won't start my engine. I installed a new starter and solenoid about a 1.5 years ago. The battery is about the same age. I have had this problem with the replacement starter since it was installed.

I can go months without a problem then all of a sudden the starter stops working. I carry a broomhandle to bump the wires at the front of the starter, and this almost always temporarly fixes the problem. I have double checked the wire connections. I assume there is a short in the new starter cables.

This problem is getting really annoying. Before I try to get a new replacement starter, is there any way to check to see what is causing this problem. In archived posts, people mention the problem may be the battery cable corroding on the inside. How can I check this?

Thank you for the help!

Use a multimeter to check the resistance of the cable. If it's more than a few ohms (like over 20 ohms or so) the cable is bad.

Check for voltage on the switched side of the fender relay and on the 12v post on the starter (big wire)

Use Motorcraft starter relays, not el cheapo aftermarket ones.

Thank you for the help.

Back