Replaced Starter Solenoid with Smoke | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced Starter Solenoid with Smoke

2doorsplor

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area (vacaville) California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport 4x4
I have your same problem, my conclusion is that my battery cables need to be replaced. I still have a Big problem tho. The first thing I saw when i examined my Starter Moter was a red oily wire that seemed to lead to the starter, and from examinations of pictures had made a connection on it. So I connected it, and nothing changed. Then I replaced the Starter Selonoid (i swear I did it right) while that red wire was connnected. When I Tried to give it a start...no more Click Clunk no noise, then a high pitch Fizzle and Smoke!!! so i disconnected the battery and smoke seemed to be coming from the starter out of the center of the bay near the cabin.

The sellonoid manual that said that there was a place for a nother Optional wire on it, and if the truck didnt come with That special wire ( the "I" wire?) Do Not connect any thing to it.

Was the red wire I previously connected not grounded? Did my truck previously have a different starter? If that was the case, what damage is there? and can it be fixed with a new Battery cable?

Please do not post the same thing in multiple threads. The others have been deleted.

2door, did you mean for this to be a reply to an existing thread?
Tell us which one and we can move it.

Back