Replacement clamps for stock CV boot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement clamps for stock CV boot

JasonPAtkins

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer V8 AWD
Hi all,
I have an '02 4wd Explorer. A broken sway bar link seems to have broken the smaller (inner) clamp of the outer CV boot (driver's side). This allowed the end of the boot to slide out toward the wheel a little, and some contaminants got in. I found it quickly, and hear no signs of the joint going bad. I know the usual advise is to replace the whole shaft rather than reboot because of the labor involved, but in this case, because the boot is still fine (and because I'm carrying the parts in airline luggage to West Africa where the truck lives), I'd like to just remove the shaft, break the outer clamp, slide the boot back, clean the joint out really well, regrease with the special CV grease, and reinstall the boot with new clamps.

The trouble I'm running into is that I can't find that style of clamp anywhere. It's kind of like a hose clamp but with a crimped (and much tougher) locking mechanism. I tried as a quick experiment to replace the broken one with a hose clamp, and it didn't last two days.

Anyone have a source for that style of clamp?

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for! I was searching for clamp instead of band. :) Thanks!

Back