Replacing 2nd Gen Teardrops with these 3rd/4th Gen 5 spoke, will it work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing 2nd Gen Teardrops with these 3rd/4th Gen 5 spoke, will it work?

Is the backspacing close enough on the 3rd or 4th Gen wheels to the 2nd Gen Teardrops to fit them on my '96?

1716-042-wheel-profile-480.jpg

I don't know what they're called and can't find the specifications for these, but I THINK the offset is +12mm and the backspacing is 3.75in for the 2nd Gen, are these even close? And I'm not sure if this will be a problem or not, but would I have a problem fitting these over the hubs?

I DID put the other style set of 16" Explorer wheels from an '02 Eddie Bauer on my '98 Explorer XLT...they fit fine !! Sure there is a little different offset but no rubbing whatsoever and they look so much better than the teardrops. I'm new here so don't know how to post a picture but eMail me at MR82GT@aol.com and I'll send you some pictures if you want. Rich

What size rim will you be going with? If you go with 16" for the most part you shouldnt have a problem except one 16" rim that i cam across that looks similar to those and was 16 x 7.5, so yeah.

Ok, the stock 2nd Gen teardrops are 15x7 with a 3.75" back spacing, i'm fairly certain.

The ones i'm looking at are exactly like pictured above, and I beleive are 16x7, possibly 7.5, I'm hoping someone chimes in and can give me the Backspacing and offset of the rim. :\

Back