Replacing 6cd changer with newer head unit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing 6cd changer with newer head unit?

moretoons

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi-
Like many others in this forum, the 6 cd changer for my 2003 audio head unit has failed. I was looking to replace it, and have found some refurbished ones. However, if I'm going to spend the money to replace it, I'd like to be able to have one with an aux input or other way to hook up my mp3 player.

The model number for my radio is 3L2T-18C815-FB . It has the factory subwoofer. I'd like to know if there is a newer factory head unit that is compatible that has aux inputs, or the capability for aux inputs. I have found after market systems that have aux inputs, but would prefer to have a factory head. I am in Los Angeles and having ANYTHING aftermarket is like begging for a theft.

Thanks

This is a good post about adding AUX to that model. I know this doesn't resolve your cd player issue but that can be remedied easily enough with a fix or donor radio. Unless you want to start getting into building harnesses then look for radios from 02 or 03.

At this point, my plan is to get a 6 disc/MP3 from an 05 & add satellite for my audio build-up. It'll have to have custom harnesses and possibly some PCB modding for my special purposes. It'll look stock but sound great. That's if I don't try to shoehorn an Aviator Nav unit in there.

Check eBay for cd changer repair or a donor unit. Check here to find out how to replace it.

Good luck

Back