Replacing headlight lense on 1999 ford explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing headlight lense on 1999 ford explorer

Christine Toolis

Reaction score
City, State
Romeoville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer
Please help out single mom. I have a 1999 ford explorer that I am giving to my son. The car runs great. I already had ball joint replacement done on it. I'd like to do some of the easier work myself with my son. The headlights are very dim due to yellow wear on the lense. How do I just replace the headlight lense part ? I was able to unscrew and pull out the turning signal housing but the headlight is just still stuck in there? With clips?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try this;)

Not sure if this applies to aftermarket ones, but if you get OEM ones, there are clips that you can use needle-nose pliers on that will allow removal of just the main headlight unit. Replacement OEM ones would snap back into place. That way, you would not have to worry about re-aiming them, which requires a special tool in some instances.

I got a set of new OEM units off eBay for dirt cheap a long time ago. I didn't want to deal with re-aiming, and didn't want to buy the tool. Once you get your grille removed, you can see some of them if you look closely. Here is one of them before, and after.

upload_2018-8-29_4-36-59.jpeg

upload_2018-8-29_4-37-33.jpeg

Thanks. But the aiming does suck so do you know the name of that special tool? And where to get it?

I don't believe you can replace just the clear plastic lenses because I think they're sonic-welded or glued to the housing (and even if you could the mirrored reflector part is probably dulled with with age).

The headlight restoration kits can produce a fairly clear lens, but in my experience the yellowing returns in about a month. New replacement OE style headlights are available from RockAuto fairly cheap (TYC $22 each w/bulbs, which is also important as old bulbs dim with age) and will produce the best results. As long as you adjust the plastic clips on the new headlights to be in the same position as the old headlights the aim should be okay. Only computerized headlight aiming will get the aim to be perfect and the aim changes with age too (due to the vehicle's suspension settling).

You can save 5% on RockAuto purchases by using a discount code (current code is 8955672981483357, which you enter at checkout in the "where did you hear about us" box).

20-3101-00_1__ra_p.jpg

Back