• Register Today It's free!

replacing injector O-rings

nickb123

Reaction score
City, State
woodbury, minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer eddie bauer
Ive had a fuel leak in my explorer the whole time ive owned it. One symptom of this is it takes a few extra cranks to start it and there is fuel on the passenger side on the intake, between the 2nd and 3rd injectors. I first notice the schrader valve had fuel bubbling up, I replaced that with a used part, so I think that's good. But it still leaks so it must be the injectors. My question is how much of a job is it to remove the upper intake plenum to access the fuel rail? Is this a one day job? Is there anything else I should replace while im in there? Im not going to drive it until I get the leak fixed, its not worth the risk of a fire. This is on a '99 5.0 V8.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll need to bust the egr tube nut loose. If you can do this without breaking the tube, you are 1/3 of the way there.
There are a lot of vacuum lines, so I would try to slide the upper to one side--cover the intake holes, and work on one bank of injectors at a time. You'll need to slide it back and forth to remove the fuel rail first though. It may be a bit tricky doing it this way.

Otherwise you need to label a lot of vacuum lines, and drain some coolant because there is a small coolant line going to the upper intake. Be sure to replace the plennum gasket also.

Cracked fuel rail? I'd test it under pressure, off the vehicle, before assuming the leak originates at an injector. Unless you SEE the leak, of course! imp

Cracked fuel rail? I'd test it under pressure, off the vehicle, before assuming the leak originates at an injector. Unless you SEE the leak, of course! imp

How would I go about pressure testing the fuel rail? I can't pit point the source of the leak, just see the damp areas. When it comes to removing the manifold, I don't mind labeling hoses and taking pictures. When it comes to the egr tube, where is it located and why are they prone to breaking?

Does anyone have any links to directions on doing this job? More help would be great, Im going to attempt this job this weekend.

Back