Replacing police flasher lights and installing Fog Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing police flasher lights and installing Fog Lights

Whitese

16 Explorer Interc. Eboost
Reaction score
City, State
North Bergen, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer E-Boost PPV
My 2016 Police I. has flashers where the fog lights belong. All switches have been removed with the console. If I replace the light switch to one that includes fog lights...would that be enough?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it might depend upon whether the wiring is in place for it. It might have had its own wiring from the console that was removed.

Peter

In that case it’s easier to just make a new cable run with its own switch. ?

That might be the way to go. I used the 'Search' feature to find some threads. That is a handy tool. There are also some on adding fogs to a Base.
I did find this but I'm not sure if that is the way to go or if it is the correct harness. 2016 Ford Wire Harness GB5Z-14290-AB | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

That might be the way to go. I used the 'Search' feature to find some threads. That is a handy tool. There are also some on adding fogs to a Base.
I did find this but I'm not sure if that is the way to go or if it is the correct harness. 2016 Ford Wire Harness GB5Z-14290-AB | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter
I tried the search. But not efficiently is seems.

If you can't locate the fog lamp connectors anywhere in the engine bay (which are 2-pin plugs), it will be better off running your own wires.
But do check for other connectors, I happen to found the siren speaker connector was still in place and it runs all the way to center console. Although the other side is trimmed, but still works by simply adding a connector. So I just wired it to a rocker switch for my fog lamps.

I wish I had something there to replace. It would make it very easy. I have solid plastic pieces there with no hole. Since I have a 2018, I have those small flasher LEDs in the grill (the area where you just remove the plastic piece and the flashers screw right in...I was hoping to remove the “flasher” part of the LEDs and use them for driving lights since they’re so bright, but I think the flasher portion is built in.

I wish I had something there to replace. It would make it very easy. I have solid plastic pieces there with no hole. Since I have a 2018, I have those small flasher LEDs in the grill (the area where you just remove the plastic piece and the flashers screw right in...I was hoping to remove the “flasher” part of the LEDs and use them for driving lights since they’re so bright, but I think the flasher portion is built in.
(Can you provide more detail? Is it OEM strobe? Does it connect to the front flasher unit? A picture will also be great.) Edited: forget this line, I get what you are saying.

From what I know, if it is OEM, it will be either connected to a flasher or it has flasher built-in. For external flasher you can just bypass it like you would like to. For built-in flasher, usually there will be a wire for pattern change, and most strobe does have solid pattern (not flash). You might want to check that out. There are wiring diagrams in uplifting guide for the FPIU.

The next thing I'm going to work on is to turn my PTW in my 2013 into high beams by bypassing the flasher (I think they are much brighter that the OEM reflector high beam)

By the way I really love the 2017-19 grill LEDs. Unfortunately I cannot fit one onto my 2013.

The car isn’t here yet, early next week, but I saw the photos and looked up the lights on YouTube. It looks like they flash on their own, but you can change the pattern. I’m guessing that one of the patterns ISNT simply “on” unfortunately.

do you have a link to the upfitter guide? If not, I could probably find it online somewhere.

The car isn’t here yet, early next week, but I saw the photos and looked up the lights on YouTube. It looks like they flash on their own, but you can change the pattern. I’m guessing that one of the patterns ISNT simply “on” unfortunately.

do you have a link to the upfitter guide? If not, I could probably find it online somewhere.

I only have one for the 2017, but I assume they are similar as hardware haven't change from 17-19 models. A search on google might be faster than me find a way uploading it.

Wire harness to the rear of light switch...

IMG-4627 (1).jpg

Back