• Register Today It's free!

replacing rear end

jabert

Reaction score
City, State
georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 and '01 Sports
The rear end on my 2001 Explorer Sport 4WD is shot. I have a low-mileage rear axle available for free to replace it and need to know if it's an okay swap or if there will be problems. Original axle code is D4 - 3.73 limited slip. Axle code for the replacement is 46 - 3.73 non-limited slip. Any worries?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it will work fine. Is it from a gen2Explorer?

No worries. I've done it.

Yes, it will work fine. Is it from a gen2Explorer?
Thanks for the reassurance. The replacement axle is from another '01 Exp Sport, but not 4WD. I was almost certain there wouldn't be a problem, but wanted to be sure.

No worries. I've done it.
Thanks! I was almost certain there wouldn't be a problem since the replacement is from another '01 Exp Sport. The different code and non-LS had me a bit concerned, though.

Thanks for the reassurance. The replacement axle is from another '01 Exp Sport, but not 4WD. I was almost certain there wouldn't be a problem, but wanted to be sure.

There's no difference in the rear axles on 2WD's and 4WD's. You just have to make sure the gear ratios are the same if 4WD

Back