• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Rear Hatch Glass

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
The rear piece of glass on the hatch of my 97 has shattered. How exactly is the glass installed? It looks to me as if it's just glued to the hinge. Do I need to replace the hinges as well?

Also, where's the best place to get a replacement piece from?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it is a torx screw that passes through the glass and affixes it to the hinge. The hinge has 2 bolts holding it to the body. The torx screw is on the interior side of the glass.

Obviously the best choice would be a junkyard if you have one somewhere around you, they are a dime -a- dozes up here. I have a spare in my garage just in case mine blows up from my incredibly powerful Ford Premium Sound system... :)

What about the handle? Is that screwed into the glass or glued?

Looks like I may be able to get one from a local junkyard for $150, does that like a responsible price?

I have an extra rear glass I need to get rid of and have been to lazy to put it on Ebay. I'll sell to you for $50 plus shipping which I think is about $75. It's from a 2000 Explorer so it's the curved glass and not flat like yours but it fits the same. Actually would give it a little updated look I guess.

I have an extra rear glass I need to get rid of and have been to lazy to put it on Ebay. I'll sell to you for $50 plus shipping which I think is about $75. It's from a 2000 Explorer so it's the curved glass and not flat like yours but it fits the same. Actually would give it a little updated look I guess.

I appreciate it, but I actually need the glass ASAP. NC is in a drought right now, but it figures, it's actually supposed to rain this weekend. So, I need to replace it right away. I just called up my local salvage yard, and there going to get one ready for me now.

Hi everyone,
I need help with the rear tailgate glass on my 1999 4dr EB. Today the rear glass simply exploded, with no warning or nothing hitting it. I have no idea how it happened, just blew up.
Is this a common problem on the explorers?
How hard is the glass to replace? What are the steps to replacing the glass? How much should I expect to pay at a junk yard for the glass? Is this a hard job to do?

Thanks,
Zack

I love my explorers but these back hatches are the crappiest design ever. The 97 and older design was actually BETTER. I'm guessing your glass exploded from the body flexing.
On the 98 and NEWER design, the hinges for the glass break.. the handle that opens the hatch either rusts out or pulls out of its rivots. The "button" that opens the glass sometimes gets stuck in and the hatches rot out at the bottom something fierce. Also both hatch designs require good force to close properly or else they only close half-assed....Not to mention, unless you modify the rear wiper.. they also work terribly. there, I vented.

To replace the glass, remove the inside hatch cover(plastic) ( or just pull it down far enough) and get at the 2 nuts that hold the hinges to the hatch. Remove the shocks and the wires for the defrost.. done.

The hinge on my 02 sport came off from the body. The plastic hinge was stripped out. I ended up drilling all the way through the hinge and putting in a longer bolt and nut to hold it. It's worked for over a year now, and I noticed this morning that the other hinge is coming loose in the same spot.

Back