How to: - Replacing Shocks & Sway Bars on a 1999 Explorer (lots of pics!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replacing Shocks & Sway Bars on a 1999 Explorer (lots of pics!)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Energy suspensions makes another universal fit 19mm that has a larger bracket. 9.5156 is the part number. I'm thinking of trying a set. I'd buy a beefier sway bar, but shipping to Canada is by weight. It gets ugly.
It appears energy suspension doesn't make 34mm sway bar to frame bushings. Can anyone confirm?

This is an excellent thread. I'm seriously considering upgrading my shocks from the munroe sensatraks to kyb gas adjust (mono tube) also. I'm also concerned the kyb heavy duty mono tubes would be too harsh on the street also.

Thank you,
I ordered these for my 2000 Exoplorer
Part Number: 4.5155
Product Name: Front Sway Bar Bushings and End Links - 34mm
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: $31.99
> > > Color : Black
--------------------------
Part Number: 9.5156
Product Name: Universal - Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings 3/4 in / 19mm
Quantity: 2
Unit Price: $15.99

I'll report back when they are installed as to how I make out.

Thank you,
I ordered these for my 2000 Exoplorer
Part Number: 4.5155
Product Name: Front Sway Bar Bushings and End Links - 34mm
Quantity: 1
Unit Price: $31.99
--------------------------
Part Number: 9.5156
Product Name: Universal - Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings 3/4 in / 19mm
Quantity: 2
Unit Price: $15.99

I'll report back when they are installed as to how I make out.

Ok, I installed the rear 19mm sway bar bushings tonight.
first issue, only order 1. They come as a pair (I now have a spare set....lovely).

Second issue, the mounting bracket bolt holes are still too short. I elongated the ends of the new bushing mounts to make them work. They bolted up fine after that.

Third issue, the grease nipples are right behind the shock. You need to unbolt the bottom of the shock. Trying to remove the rusted bolt, I broke it cleanly off. Then it was a matter of rooting around the garage to find a bolt that will work till I can get something closer tomorrow. While it was off, I greased the one side.
I opted to wait till I get 2 sets of bolts/nuts before attempting to remove the bottom of the shock on the other side to grease the bushing. I might as well wait until I have the correct bolts as I will probably break the bolt off the other side when I try to remove it.

Quick test drive, and no squeaks out of the back. Ride seems firmer in the back for sure. One of the old bushings was in pretty bad shape from flexing so much, so it will definitely firm up the ride and reduce unwanted flex on the street.

No comment yet on if its worth the effort. I'll install the front kit, and drive around a bit before commenting.

Tell me about it!
I replaced the shocks a couple of years ago, and didn't expect the cnapped bolt syndrome.
Now that you mention it though, I will pick a couple of those up tomorrow while I am out getting the proper sized bolt/nut's.

I think I used the nut and bolt that came with the munroe shocks, and they are clearly not as resistant to rust as the factory ones were.

Back