Replacing the stock power wires

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
I got a 200 amp alternator on the way. I was told to upgrade the wires to at least 4 gauge. I looked today at those wires. There's 4 different - wires that go into 1 wire to the - side on the battery. The + side has 2 wires going into 1. Now I'm confused. Which wires am I supposed to upgrade, & how do I do it if there's all these wires from different places going into a single wire to the battery terminals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jason94sport said:
I got a 200 amp alternator on the way. I was told to upgrade the wires to at least 4 gauge. I looked today at those wires. There's 4 different - wires that go into 1 wire to the - side on the battery. The + side has 2 wires going into 1. Now I'm confused. Which wires am I supposed to upgrade, & how do I do it if there's all these wires from different places going into a single wire to the battery terminals.

not exactly sure, but you want the big ones that go to the alternater. I mean think about it... you want a bigger alternator so you can do what? have a better battery!

I bet you ford just twisted those wires togeather and taped em up. Thats all you would have to do i guess. I would say get a nice terminal for the battery so you can just screw all that stuff in at one big spot. Hopefully someone who really knows will help out... Bumpity.

First, don't cut the factory battery terminals off. Replacement terminals are a big source of problems later.

May I suggest that you add better power and ground cables. You can make a wire to run between the alternator and battery, using connector eyes that fit the factory connections. You should also add a similar sized wire to upgrade the ground cable. The factory cable runs to an alternator bolt I believe.

Either get themfrom a business that can make battery cables, or make them yourself. It should depend on your usage. If you are going to need a lot more than stock power, have some made that are larger than you can make yourself. Adding to the stock cables, something in the 4-10 gauge should be enough. Good luck.

Yes Jason, I thought they were the older non metric type. Both type of factory connectors can be added to. For yours, simply add an additional wire to that terminal bolt, with an extra nut.

How much extra power load are you going to need? If it's minimal, you might be fine as it is. If you are adding a significant load, then you should add two wires, an extra power wire, and an extra ground wire. All of the electricity must go through both cables. Assuming the stock cables are balanced, pos/neg, then you need to improve both equally. Making the cables or having them made is a relatively easy task. Take length measurements, and end connector measurements, and have them made. Look for a place that sells welding cable. Those businesses usually can make those cables. Good luck.

Back