Reprogramming a CSM (Central Security Module) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reprogramming a CSM (Central Security Module)

jtgt350

Reaction score
My '02 Explorer XLT is in need of a new CSM (Central Security Module). Cost is $120. Dealer tells me new module MUST be reprogrammed using information off of the old one at a cost of $250 (2 hours labor @ $125/hr). Does anyone know if this is REALLY necessary? I know the key fobs need to be reprogrammed, but I have seen instructions here on how to do that. Anything else that makes it necessary to have the Dealer do this? Will the truck not run if I just swap out the replacement CSM on my own?

Dealer has to reprogram the module using the ids/vcm system. They copy the data from the current module and load it into the new module. Takes about 45 min to do.

My '02 Explorer XLT is in need of a new CSM (Central Security Module). Cost is $120. Dealer tells me new module MUST be reprogrammed using information off of the old one at a cost of $250 (2 hours labor @ $125/hr). Does anyone know if this is REALLY necessary? I know the key fobs need to be reprogrammed, but I have seen instructions here on how to do that. Anything else that makes it necessary to have the Dealer do this? Will the truck not run if I just swap out the replacement CSM on my own?
Im going with, Unplug the Security Module only, let it alone reboot.

Back