• Register Today It's free!

Reset button for 4wd module-95XLT

F91

Reaction score
City, State
Port Orchard, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95XLT
Having a hard time with the 4X4 shifting on the boys 95 XLT. Did the entire transfer case-shift motor thing, no problems there. Seems like the computer has lost where the motor is The nylon bushing is fine) the shift motor seems to go to a default position. Tried unhooking the battery several times. Is there a reset button for a 95 auto? The drivers side in the rear has a set of relays but no white button. The 4wd and 4low lights used to flash before we cleaned the shift motor, now, that seems OK, but no 4x4 indicator lights at all when shift switch is in either position. Also checked the fuse on the inside, not sure if there is one in the engine compartment. Help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the shift motor is defaulting in the wrong position, chances are the position-sensor on the shift motor needs to be looked at as its sending the wrong signal.

The position sensor on the 95 is a sealed unit. I had the shift motor off and plugged it in and my son switched it back and forth. Since the truck wasn't moving , I'm assuming it went to the default position.

So, does anyone know if there is a reset for this model year? It's a start.....:roll:

There is no 4wd module in the 95+ explorers. The t-case is controlled by the GEM. I'd check and make sure the wiring harness is attached to the shift motor all the way and that wires are not damaged. It sounds like something simple. If there was a problem with the t-case the 4x4 lights would flash.

Doug, thanks for the reply. The harness and wires are in good shape. Before I removed , cleaned and re-installed the shift motor, the 4x4 lights did flash. I guess some progress is better than none.

If it's not the connection at the t-case is sounds like you've got an electrical problem somewhere. I suppose it's possible your 4wd switch is bad. If you have a multimeter you can check the switch to make sure it's working as well as check if there is power getting to the t-case. There is another connecter under the driver's seat and it's possible that got disconnected. However if that was disconnected your 4wd lights should blink. What you could do is disconnect the wiring harness from the t-case and see if your 4wd lights start flashing. If they don't there might be something wrong with the GEM but I think that would be unlikely. If there was a problem with the GEM I imagine that other things in the truck wouldn't work (windows, interior lights, etc). If the gem appears to be working you'll have to troubleshoot the wiring. It's also possible the shift motor is shot and you may need a new one. I'm betting on the shift motor being the problem or possibly the 4wd switch as I mentioned earlier.

i have same problem going on i manuall adj shift motor and did a check on it by apllying direct power and everything seems to operate correctly. checked all fuses nothing. i used to here a clicking from the turn nob of the 4wd now nothing. i pulled a part today behind the radio called pick up electronic 4wd its a small box about 3.5 by 6in. i getting lost and need help also.. jay

Doug, When I had the shift motor out I put 12V to the orange and yellow leads, the motor operated, reversed the leads and it operated the opposite direction. I do appreciate the help . I'll mess with the selector switch,Thanks!

for the hundredth time on this board, the shift motor has nothing to do with the 2wd/4auto (95-96) or the 4auto/4high (97-01) shift. Transfer case lockup is handles jointly by the GEM module for 4high and 4low, and the TOD relay (controlled by the GEM module) for 4auto.

Now, with that in mind, the type of problem you're having is not an easy one to troubleshoot blind. The problem is that, without being able to see the inputs and outputs on the GEM, there's no way to know what the system is seeing and doing. (I wish someone made a cheap model-specific NGS tester, but that would put the dealers out of business!!) Troubleshooting is a guessing game at best, but there are some basic things to check.

In the interior fuse panel, check fuse #28 (7.5A mini), check fuse #13 (15A), fuse #26 (10A) and fuse #27 (10A), then in the power distribution block, check fuse 16 (20A), fuse 5 (30A) and fuse #7 (30A). If those all check out, check for power at all of those fuses with the key on. Make sure one of them isn't dead when it should be live.

Now, if the fuses are all good, check the switch itself. you should have power on the W/LB wire, get three different resistances out from the GY/R wire: 3900 ohms, 1100 ohms, and 360 ohms.

The final easy check is to check for power at the brown wire on the transfer case when in 4auto. If you have power there, we can start looking at the center axle disconnect on the front axle, and the electro-vacuum-mechanical system that locks and unlocks it.

Start there and let us know what you find. :)

gijoe- Thanks!!! Just what I was looking for! I did do many searches on this subject (not 100, but close) and I never saw the info you just gave regarding the shift motor on the 95's. Thanks very much for the help!

gijoe- Thanks!!! Just what I was looking for! I did do many searches on this subject (not 100, but close) and I never saw the info you just gave regarding the shift motor on the 95's. Thanks very much for the help!

I wasn't beating you up specifically... A lot of people see 'Shift problem' and automatically respond with "shift motor rebuild thread" without looking at anything else (like the model year, or how the system on that particular year works).

thanks from me 2 this is what i am looking for also . i put manual hubs on already and tested the shift motor i will look at the rest of the fuses you list , then i should know 4x4 module or gem thanks again gijoecam from jay

ok i found a bad fuse and now when i select the 4wd option i hear the clicking noise again, i have my shifter motor hooked up but not bolted on the see if it moves and it does not just clicking from module . any ideas i think im getting it. thanks again jay

Where is the clicking coming from? I know in the 91-94 models there is a computer in the Driver side rear quarter panel with a reset on it. Its located inside of the jack storage compartment by the rear window washer-fluid reservoir. If you're looking at the fluid container, the computer would be located on the upper right hand side. Turn on your 4wd and look back there to see If a red light is on. If not, there is a white stick like button to reset that. Your clicking should be coming from this area. I could be wrong though because of your exploder being a 95 model.

Back