• Register Today It's free!

Retrofit AC or Replace?

surf

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I have just been quoted 1,400 to replace my entire AC system to convert it from R12 to R134. The shop said they would be willing to do a retrofit but had concerns about other components failing after the retrofit. If the components are otherwise okay is there any real downside to doing the retrofit rather than the replacement? I have a 93 X with 160,000 miles on the clock so even paying for the retrofit at this point is questionable.

I have just been quoted 1,400 to replace my entire AC system to convert it from R12 to R134. The shop said they would be willing to do a retrofit but had concerns about other components failing after the retrofit. If the components are otherwise okay is there any real downside to doing the retrofit rather than the replacement? I have a 93 X with 160,000 miles on the clock so even paying for the retrofit at this point is questionable.

It comes down to how much longer are you planning on keeping your Explorer, and do you really want/need the AC. Years ago (1998), I had a retrofit conversion to R134 because my shop (at the time) said it would cost almost as much to use freon as to convert. But I had only 110,000 miles at the time (lasted 6 years until 176,000 when totaled in a traffic accident).
Bill W

Can you do basic repair work yourself?

If so, you can replace the parts yourself to retrofit it.. then take it to the shop to have it evacuated and filled.. Or, you can do it yourself with tools rentals from Autozone (I'm assuming you have those around there)..

Just to put it into perspective. Current r-134 price is upwards of $10 per can (I've seen it from $7 - $10 around here).. you need IIRC 3 cans... plus a can of oil.. Soo.. for < $50 in stuff you can charge it yourself (shop will charge you $200+)..

Minimum I would do on a retrofit is receiver/dryer (accumulator I think is the correct term), and the orifice tube, in addition to the changing of the valve (they are adapters that are put on). I'd even flush the system which can be done by rental parts from Autozone.

There is a good stick how to convert in the a/c section here.

~Mark

Thanks for the input. I would rather have a professional do the repair because I just don't have the time or the patience to do the conversion correctly myself. I guess it is just a matter of gambling a few hundred dollars on a flush and retrofit and hoping for the best or do nothing and convert the X to a winter vehicle. Full replacement of the system just can't be justified.

Back