Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 195 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

Rick,

I dont know if you were around at Gore when we found a problem with my ORI's. The back of the buggy was sitting about 4 inches lower in the rear than it should have been when we got back to camp. They werent like that prior to the flop but they sure were after.

After getting home and playing with them nothing I could do would make my rear 16 struts expand past 4 inches.

I worked with Mark/Kirk via phone and Pirate4x4 to try some things. I did end up getting them to go out to 9 inches but never past that. Also I found that when pressurizing the fronts one took about 30psi more pressure to sit level,which it did not before.

ORI was great to work with but in the end I had to send them back to the factory. In less than 24 hours after the recieved them I got a call from Liz that they were on the way back to me. Exceptional customer service.

I talked with Liz about the problem and she didnt have the specifics but apparently I had an issue with some seals and one or more o-rings. She did say that they have had other problems with some of the seals and have either changed the material or the vendor, dont really remember at this point. So I dont really know if I had an issue because of this or something specific to my struts. I only had about 25 hours on them so I'm guessing it was the part failure. I'm hoping Mark chimes back in on my thread on Pirate or that there is some info in the box.

So long story short...exceptional customer service if you run into any problems.

Oops posted around the same time. And yes I knew about the problem and even briefly touched on the subject with Liz at ORI. So glad that they're on the way back so fast.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oops posted around the same time. And yes I knew about the problem and even briefly touched on the subject with Liz at ORI. So glad that they're on the way back so fast.

mmm yes and I noticed I already posted about it...:banghead:

ORI is made up of good peeps, I have wheeled and ridden bikes with Kirk a few times, he goes to school up here. He won't hook me up on some free struts though for some reason lol

ORI is made up of good peeps, I have wheeled and ridden bikes with Kirk a few times, he goes to school up here. He won't hook me up on some free struts though for some reason lol

Simple solution: Fill out job application at ORI :D

SAM_0171_zpseff6fc4b.jpg

Finally installing the new TRE from "Parts Mike". It's got L hand threads that's why I had to order it. This style is hard to come by. The old one was starting to get sloppy and after the Gore Va. trip, well it's down right bad. Don't know if this is cold forged or hot forged. The other side is cold forged and it's still as tight as the day I bought it. Cold is better, but more expensive.

Tell him they should give out stickers!! For what I spent I need stickers! :D

Tell him they should give out stickers!! For what I spent I need stickers! :D

for sure man, that is a huge hole in their marketing strategy lol. Seriously I get excited when I get stickers in the box too haha.

Just buy something from Summit and you'll have all the stickers you'll ever need. Problem is how many Summit stickers can one person use? But ORI's would be cool. That'll be the first thing I'll look for when they get here lol.
Well, got the F250 gassed up, changed oil, changed air filter,cooler loaded up and Garmin programmed for Lexington North Carolina ending up at Kauffman trailers tomorrow morning. Can't wait.
All ready thinking of towing Samson to another "Big Dogs" event at Gore VA come this Aug or maybe Roush creek PA.

it really is nice piece of mind to have a tow rig and trailer, I can drive the Bdos on the street but I go wheeling and I don't have to worry about breaking or trying something hard because I know I just have to get it back to the trailer.

it really is nice piece of mind to have a tow rig and trailer, I can drive the Bdos on the street but I go wheeling and I don't have to worry about breaking or trying something hard because I know I just have to get it back to the trailer.

Plus the fact that my B2 is going to see some harder trails that may be well over a hundred miles from home. Including not having to drive those IROCs on with that soft rubber compound on the highway lol and putting more wear and tear on the drive train.

SAM_0174_zps6797dc3b.jpg

SAM_0176_zpsabd95c8a.jpg

This is Kauffman's 19' model that I picked up today. It's an 8000 # gvw trailer. Ramps slide in the rear. Also like the tear drop fenders.

On another note, I subscribed to Crawl mag which I really like. Have not got my first mag yet but a friend of mine gave me a couple if issues. As luck would have it, there was a feature story on "Big Dogs". I think it was several years old, but some guys from Crawl wheeled there. I might just make it to their big summer jamb in Aug. Of course Samson will be on the trailer.
This is the same place that I went to the Branco bash a few weeks back.

Also need to get some ideas on a tool box.

You havent loaded the BII on there yet ??????

You havent loaded the BII on there yet ??????

Funny you should ask that! Wish you were here helping me weld on the 4 D-rings on the front and rear axle housings so I can strap it down lol. Trailers still hooked to truck :D
Just purchased some ratcheting straps to hold the B2 down. They're going to be here tomorrow. Then off to the Truck Nationals at Carlisle Aug 1-3 and then to some serious trails at Big Dogs around the second week of Aug. And then if it's still in one piece, off to Raush Creek Pa.

Just hope it's running when I get those ORI's on. But good thing is that I'll get a good idea how they compared to the coilovers on the same trails.

SAM_0180_zps2beac9ad.jpg

0e51e16d-cb33-4d6a-88e4-f5c417b32436_zpscfaca114.jpg

Got tow truck and trailer, Samson loaded up and Garmin attached to windshield lol.

0e51e16d-cb33-4d6a-88e4-f5c417b32436_zpscfaca114.jpg

Got tow truck and trailer, Samson loaded up and Garmin attached to windshield lol.

I really like that trailer.. You wanna trade for my old late 70's vintage U-haul trailer? :)

Anywhoo.. Your going to find yourself trying different lines and harder obstacles now that your trailering out the rig. Once I started to trailer out the X I found myself denting things more. I think I'm out of straight body panels now except the hood and roof. I've been lucky and still haven't needed to replace steering parts or axle shafts yet on the trail..

~Mark

Thanks guys. Took the B2 out on the Interstate to see how it handles. Had to drive through some construction where I-81 narrowed down to 2 lanes with Jersy walls on both sides. Fun with tractor trailer close on one side and concrete wall on other. But the trailer towed great. I was worried about enough tongue weight. I strapped it down once the trailer started to point down.

9a0b6e6a-ea7d-4183-b50e-225bd635a917_zps5194d86b.jpg

SAM_0197_zps6769ad5c.jpg

Bought this engine crane from a good friend of mine. It's just great when I'm adjusting the links or coilovers. Just hook on receiver and jack up...It's the jack up that gets old quick, just so slow. But that's going to change cause I just ordered an Air over hydraulic jack. Do you think I'll use it for butchering deer this fall...you think ;)

SAM_0191_zps98611878.jpg

Right after the Truck Nationals next week I'll be doing some Trails/rocks at Big Dogs and or Roush Creek. Possibly both. Last year at the Truck Nationals both Big Dogs and Roush Creek had booths. So you can bet I'll be at both spots.

Any one going to Roush Creek, Big Dogs or any other spots between or near?

SAM_0204_zps2390f236.jpg

LOL No more inspections. Plus driving on the street is taking a back seat.

SAM_0205_zpsd0012ebd.jpg

Going to do some triangulation on the rear link Xmember. Here I'm going to weld in a plate to box this part of the frame in. Left a gap between other plate to leave some wiggle room.
SAM_0207_zps3a344428.jpg

Also going to order some more 1.5" DOM for more cage and hoop material for the ORI's

All this protection for Samson, how about me lol. Have a feeling I might just need this. No not the Pink one!
http://www.frontier4x4.com/Off-Road-Helmets_c_1418.html

SAM_0232_zpsf6d3ec48.jpg

SAM_0229_zpsfc4d07b0.jpg

Finally got my double decker tool boxes done. Now to start figuring what tools to stock?

I just carry a set of wrenches, sockets, allen keys, torx bits, good vise grips, screwdrivers, big hammer, some electrical repair stuff, and a large adjustable wrench for my links. I really thought about the things that I would be able to change on the trail, driveshafts, axleshafts, few small things with the engine maybe, but a lot of stuff you can break will be something you need to get it back to the shop. That is where the mechanics wire, duct tape, and zip ties come into play.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like this is coming from experience. Good info, thanks.
SAM_0237_zpsa01008c9.jpg

After searching for months and months, I finally scored on my High Pinion 1979 Front Dana 60. Found it on craigs list in the Baltimore area. It was actually on the outskirts of Baltimore no more then 60 miles from home. He had it listed for $800 and I offered $700 and he took it.
No it's not a passanger drop axle, it's laying wrong side up lol.

Back