• Register Today It's free!

Ride Height - Limited

V8Pete

Reaction score
City, State
Cupertino, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT 2WD V8
Does anyone know if the '95 and newer Limiteds are sprung for a lower ride height than the other models? All the ones I've seen seem to be about an inch lower. Of course, it could be the weight of all the extra sound deadener and running boards and...

Thanks!

Pete

------------------
'96 XLT 2wd V8
K&N, drilled airbox
Flowmaster 50 series w/ 3" pipe
Explorer Express 1 1/2" lowering kit
Edelbrock IAS
Michelin 235/70 X-One
3.08 gears

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 99 Limited. The Limiteds appear lower because of the running boards and the extra mouldings. If you were to measure from the frame it should be identical to an XLT or Eddie Bauer. However those running boards are asking to get torn off when you go 4x4ing. I went on the Truckhaven trip and I did very well considering I was Stock. (Except ISA Shocks and a KKM filter). I came close to tearing my boards off.
-Bryan

------------------
Greengoose:
FORD = Fantastic Off Road Driving
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Ravine/4202/index.html

ALso isn't it true that the Limiteds have air suspension that raises and lowers the vehicle depending oin what mode the truck is in? I heard that parked the truck lowers down, then in 4X4 auto it is an inch or so higher and after you hit 35 then it lowers back down an inch for better aerodynamics. LALso I heard if you put it in 4WD LOW that the turck lifts 2 inches up for better ground clearence. is this true?! My neighbor has a 2000 Expedition Eddie bauer and his seems low to the groudn when parked, but the ones I have seen driving and ther XLTs seem higher (maybe due to the fact that they have leaf springs?)

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4
82,000 miles
K&N Drop-in
Bosch +4's
BFG Long Trails
Have a nice day! :)

On the Limiteds the air suspension is an option. And yes it will lower when parked. As for raising when in 4x4...im not sure.
-Bryan

------------------
Greengoose:

Limited just looks lower. Running boards make it this way. Even on the older ones like mine. I just took the boards off today, man what a difference. Now I have to buy a kit from Explorer Express to cover 19 nasty holes in the rocker on each side. Taking these boards off is like adding at least 2-3 inches to the height. I took'em off cause they were in the way while I was playing in the mud lately. These things sit so low I almost got stuck.

Later,

Dead Link Removed

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited
http://www.inter-kiosk.com/Explorer/

The air ride suspension on the 95-96 Explorer Limiteds were standard. 97-98 it was optional on the Eddie Bauers and Limiteds. 99-00 it was also optional on the Eddie Bauer and Limiteds but the air ride is only on the rear axle for load leveling purposes only. On the 95-97s when in 2WD it sits 1 inch lower then normal Explorers. In 4WD auto, it raises vehicle ride height 1 inch (which is the same ride height as normal Explorers) until you exceed 35MPH, then it lowers back down to 2WD height. You must exceed or drop below 35MPH for at least 1 minute for the suspension to adjust. In 4WD low, vehicle ride increases 2 inches and is not affected by the speed of the vehicle.

-Darren

1995 Explorer Limited
-4 inch Superlift(Ranger)+1 inch torsion twist
-5.5 inch Superlift leaf-over-axle
-31*12.50 Thornbirds
-Hyperchip
-Borla Cat-back
-K&N Filter(no case)

Darren,

I am VERY inerested in your lift. Which Ranger Kit did you use? What kind of mods did you make? Was the Ranger kit for the front end only? How about the 5.5 inch? I've got a '95 Sport that I'm dying to lift. Looking for tips...

LiveOakPrk@Mobsters.com

------------------
'95 4x4 2dr
31x10.5x15's on 15x7's
K&N

Okay here's the scoop. The 95-97 Limiteds ARE lower, and the air suspension is four wheel and standard on the 4WD. N/A on the 2WD or AWD. On the 98-99-00 Models, the Air suspension is rear wheel and optional. The 98-00 just looks lower.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

Darren, I clicked on your link to your web page and it doesnt work. Stephen, thanks for the run down on the limiteds. Has anyone seen a limited lifted with the running boards still in place? Just wondering since Im planning to lift my Limited as soon as the Lift is released.
-Bryan

------------------
Greengoose:

Darren,
I'll join the list of curious people regarding your lift. I have a '93 xlt with 31x10'50 Dunlops and I wouild like to lift it. I even thought of a 4" front and SOA in rear. Would love to see pics of your truck. Can you post them - or a link to some? Thanks,
Jon M

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Modified Airbox
Kenwood Audio w/ 6-disc changer
31x10.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
Rancho RS5000's

Next project: visit http://www.jonmcleod.com for more info!

Darren/Stephen:

Thanks for the vindication. I KNEW it wasn't just the running boards; rather, the fenderwell gap was smaller on the '95+ Limiteds I looked at, taking tire size into account.

So, the question is: How does Ford lower it? Softer spring rates? If so, on both the leaves and the torsion bars? I understand how the air suspension would raise the vehicle, but I'm confused how it would lower it, unless the air springs replaced their conventional counterparts. Years ago, I had a Mark VII LSC that I lowered an inch by repositioning the ride height sensors, but that's another story. I'd like to ditch the Explorer Express lowering blocks I have in there now, but I haven't seen any alternatives.

Thanks again,

Pete

The air shocks replace the normal shocks, just like on the Lincoln. Its actually an adaptation of the same system.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

Greengoose, I was just checking out your web page and I am wondering what color you have on your exploder. Also I would like to put a link to your page on my page. Send me an e-mail and let me know what you think. Thanks!

------------------
Happy Trails!
'93 XLT 4x4
Dead Link Removed
swankmi@efortress.com

Stephen:

The Lincoln had air springs and conventional shocks, not air shocks. If the Explorer has air shocks, I can understand how they would raise the vehicle, but, once again, how can they lower it past the level of the non-Limited Explorer, unless the springs have a softer rate?

Thanks again,

Pete

NightHawk,
The color of my 99 Explorer Limited is Deep Wedgewood Blue. Yes you can link my page to yours.
-Bryan

------------------
Greengoose:

Sorry this took so long guys, been out of town. Pete, the Limiteds actually do use a softer spring rate then normal Explorers developing a softer ride and a lower ride height (without the help of its air shocks).
For the rest of you asking about my suspension lift, I must say I have no big secret. Every thing I did to get that Ranger lift to work in my truck, I learned for the most part, from this web site. The Superlift kit I used were the front components from the 98-00 Ranger, and the rear was from the 91-94 Explorer kit. I got a little grief from Superlift when ordering, but I just assured them that I would'nt hold them responsible for it not fitting right. The hard part of coarse is removing the entire transmission crossmember (its welded on the frame). Once that thing is removed its not so bad, I got lucky and found a cross member out of a totaled 99 Explorer and bolted it in. After that I followed what Todd Curtis did with his drop down torsion brackets. If anybodys interested, I also kept my air ride suspension working.

Darren,

-1995 Explorer Limited
-4 inch Superlift(Ranger)+1 inch torsion twist
-5.5 inch spring-over-axle
-31*12.50 Thornbirds
-Hyperchip
-Borla Catback
-K&N filter (no box)

[This message has been edited by stadx2 (edited 05-25-2000).]

hey greengoose, just saw your goose on your website. cool looking. where did u get your trailmaster lift from? looking all over creation and had not found anyone that knows a dang thing about it. how much did it cost u? do they make it for 2x4? let me know. thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 95XLT:
ALso isn't it true that the Limiteds have air suspension that raises and lowers the vehicle depending oin what mode the truck is in? I heard that parked the truck lowers down, then in 4X4 auto it is an inch or so higher and after you hit 35 then it lowers back down an inch for better aerodynamics. LALso I heard if you put it in 4WD LOW that the turck lifts 2 inches up for better ground clearence. is this true?! My neighbor has a 2000 Expedition Eddie bauer and his seems low to the groudn when parked, but the ones I have seen driving and ther XLTs seem higher (maybe due to the fact that they have leaf springs?)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a 95 Limited and it has the optional air suspension along with leaf springs and it does seem very low-riding. If you park it beside and Eddie Bauer or XLT the hood looks a bit lower, but when you look at the running board and moldings, without them they would look the same as other Explorers. When switched into 4WD Low it does raise up 2 inches. When driving in a regular 2wd mode it looks like it raises up.

Darren:

Thanks for the vindication! Now all I have to do is find the spring code for the Limited leaves...

Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stadx2:
I know this is an old post but...

How did you manage to keep your air ride after that much lift? Did you just relocate the sensors or what? I'd like to raise mine about 1.5 - 2" so I can fit 32s under it but I'm not sure how to get around the air ride. Thanks.

Back