Right Oil Type? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Right Oil Type?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hello, I will be changing my oil tomorrow as it's that time again. I have a question about the oil I should use. I'm not exactly a car expert so all help is appreciated. I've only changed the oil once before since I've had my X and I used 10w-40. That's what has always been used on this truck. I live in FL and in the winter it's around 50-90 degrees with a few nights at 30 maybe. But it's mostly always summer down here from 70 to the high 90's. I was just wondering if 10w-40 is the right kind of oil or if it's doing more harm than good, the engine has 161,000 miles and recently had all gaskets replaced. Also I was told synthetic would leak out of this engine because it's old but I don't really see that happening with new gaskets. :thumbsup: Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use 5w-30 year round in my Ex, The cap, and owners manual say 10w-30, but there was a TSB from Ford saying to use 5w-30 instead. I use a sythetic, conventional blend. Valvoline Max life to be exact.

Florida doesn't get the radical changes that a Northern climate like Cleveland, Oh receives, so unless living in an extraordinarily extreme temperature like Anchorage (which had -40 temps yesterday) I wouldn't think that the benefits are really worth it. There is a lot of research on the web about why particular oil is recommended, and I wouldn't vary from that. Newer engines especially require thinner oils to lubricate, and I always use what the manufacturer recommends. My philosophy is that a vehicle rusts out and the doors fall off before the engine fails. Living in the South, there is no snow, therefore, no salt, so cars are much better cared for and last longer. There is a myth about switching back-and-forth with synthetic oils and especially concerning older vehicles. Of course, if you're leaking oil now, there will still be the possibility no matter what oil is used, but the mere presence of using a synthetic does not cause a leak. I have heard of owner's buying used vehicles and being unaware of previous history and the possibility of running into oil leaks when using a different oil than was previously used, but again the leaking is due to a preexisting condition and not the result of change.

Florida doesn't get the radical changes that a Northern climate like Cleveland, Oh receives, so unless living in an extraordinarily extreme temperature like Anchorage (which had -40 temps yesterday) I wouldn't think that the benefits are really worth it. There is a lot of research on the web about why particular oil is recommended, and I wouldn't vary from that. Newer engines especially require thinner oils to lubricate, and I always use what the manufacturer recommends. My philosophy is that a vehicle rusts out and the doors fall off before the engine fails. Living in the South, there is no snow, therefore, no salt, so cars are much better cared for and last longer. There is a myth about switching back-and-forth with synthetic oils and especially concerning older vehicles. Of course, if you're leaking oil now, there will still be the possibility no matter what oil is used, but the mere presence of using a synthetic does not cause a leak. I have heard of owner's buying used vehicles and being unaware of previous history and the possibility of running into oil leaks when using a different oil than was previously used, but again the leaking is due to a preexisting condition and not the result of change.

Regardless of what you use, this is important...

Straight from a Ford Technical Service Bulletin:

ISSUE
Ford Motor Company now recommends SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade for servicing any Ford gasoline-powered vehicle regardless of model year.

ACTION
When servicing any Ford gasoline-powered vehicle, use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oil. Refer to the following text for further details.

Both SAE 10W-30 and SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oils have been recommended in the past depending on vehicle model and model year.

Tests have proven SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oil provides the optimum protection and benefits for Ford gasoline engines. At both high and low ambient temperature conditions, SAE 5W-30 provides the best overall protection. It allows faster starts under cold ambient temperatures.

SAE 5W-30 also provides approximately 1/2% increase in fuel economy over SAE 10W-30.

SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API) should be used for all service procedures requiring replacement of the motor oil.

That's news to me since both my 07' Ford Edge 3.5 L V6 and 08' Ford Ranger 3.0 L V6 say to use 5W-20, and besides one oil change at a "new" shop that used 5W 30 or 10W 30 bulk in the Ranger, I have followed this advice. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere years ago that vehicles designed to run 5W 20 can use 5W 30, but manufacturers, such as Ford, get penalized per car because of pollution, and better designed engines pollute less, so by designing and running a lower weight oil in the engine, such as 5W 20, they can save billions in taxes and fines. Still, I'm curious to see what oil I get if I schedule an appoint at my local lincoln dealer's quicklube express. Currently, I use Valvoline in the Ranger and Pennzoil in the Edge, but again always the recommended 5W 20.

That's news to me since both my 07' Ford Edge 3.5 L V6 and 08' Ford Ranger 3.0 L V6 say to use 5W-20, and besides one oil change at a "new" shop that used 5W 30 or 10W 30 bulk in the Ranger, I have followed this advice. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere years ago that vehicles designed to run 5W 20 can use 5W 30, but manufacturers, such as Ford, get penalized per car because of pollution, and better designed engines pollute less, so by designing and running a lower weight oil in the engine, such as 5W 20, they can save billions in taxes and fines. Still, I'm curious to see what oil I get if I schedule an appoint at my local lincoln dealer's quicklube express. Currently, I use Valvoline in the Ranger and Pennzoil in the Edge, but again always the recommended 5W 20.

The newer motors may use a lighter weight. I believe there is a cut off date for this TSB, there was a full list of vehicles that this applies to.

I run 4 quarts of 5w-30 and 1 quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

I went with 10w-40. I don't really want to experiment with different oils and I read that 5W-30 is too thin and doesn't do a good job in hot weather. My tranny really feels it in the summer when I drive back and forth all day and it's 98 degrees out, I think I'll stay with the thicker oil and change it every 3,000 miles. I'm lucky that at this mileage my transmission is still going strong, no slipping or flare while changing gears. I appreciate the input though, it did help with my decision. :salute:

I went with 10w-40. I don't really want to experiment with different oils and I read that 5W-30 is too thin and doesn't do a good job in hot weather. My tranny really feels it in the summer when I drive back and forth all day and it's 98 degrees out, I think I'll stay with the thicker oil and change it every 3,000 miles. I'm lucky that at this mileage my transmission is still going strong, no slipping or flare while changing gears. I appreciate the input though, it did help with my decision. :salute:

You made the right decision based on your driving conditions. For me the 10w-30 was significantly harder on my engine during start up when it was cold, it also believe it or not did increase my fuel mileage by almost 2 more miles per gallon. I have driven my ex in all weather climate my state has to offer, and that works best for me. So have you, it is always good to know your truck, and your situation before you make a choice. May your ex go on for many more miles. :)

Synthetic oils run cleaner. They also clean old engines that might that may have quite a bit of buildup. Unfortunately this is where it gets a bad rap. That gunk could be plugging a hole. If your motor runs well, try synthetic. Especially with the 10w-40. The different viscosity dino oils require more additives thus leaving more junk to collect in your motor. I ran maxlife in my x for 8k miles and the oil that came out looked new. Still very slippery between my fingers (very scientific i know) and still light in color.

I might give synthetic a shot in the near future. Just thought running thick 10W-40 will keep the engine slightly cooler in the summer, hopefully that means the transmission doesn't heat up as much as well.

May your ex go on for many more miles. :)

Thanks, I'm hoping for at least 300,000. I know there's going to be a lot of repairs if I want to get that far but for now it's easier than buying a new car for me and I love this truck more than the mustangs for sale on craigslist, just barely though. :D

Thanks, I'm hoping for at least 300,000. I know there's going to be a lot of repairs if I want to get that far but for now it's easier than buying a new car for me and I love this truck more than the mustangs for sale on craigslist, just barely though. :D

That's my plan as well, 300,000 Miles and I would be very happy. It is sort of an achievement for me, I have never gotten a vehicle past 181,000 Miles. So I want to almost double that. plus it is ALOT cheap then buying something else. my next vehicle though will either be a 7.3L Excursion, or a 90's F-350... I love my Fords.

Back