Everyones suggestion for the best oil type/wieght to use in your SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Everyones suggestion for the best oil type/wieght to use in your SOHC?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here we go....

do what the manual asks, 5w-30

I would recommend using a high quality full synthetic oil such as Mobil1, Royal Purple or Amsoil ( which I use ).

here we go....

do what the manual asks, 5w-30

What he said...Personally I run Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. However, any full synthetic will perform equally well. Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc....pick the one you can get easiest or is the most cost effective and you won't go wrong.

Yup, full synth 5W-30.

I don't use full synthetic oil in mine, I use 5W-30 per the manual. at 138000 no oil is being "used" and it still runs like a champ. Just for the record, I have never used any oil that said synthetic on it and have always ran vehicles will over 100000 miles with no issues. I do live in an area with a mild climate though, and most miles are highway with regular oil changes. I use Havoline oil it may be partially synthetic but I don't know. It is what I have always used and never had any problems with it.

I may change over to full Synthetic after reading all the posts about the advantages to the engine that everyone says happens.

I will post if I ever do.

David

i use mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30.

i used that q stuff for trucks 5-20 for winter but this weekend since it was 70 today, im going to change to 5-30 q stuff! ha

Changed my oil in the Trailblazer last week. Last time was September of last year... About 16000 on it since then. I change a tad more often in this vehicle than I would with a strict highway vehicle because it is also my tow rig, and I'm pulling about 7700# behind it on a two-axle trailer.

Amsoil all the way.

My dad was running regular oil in his Chevy Avalanche. He had to change once a month at 3000 miles. Now, he runs Amsoil, runs it to 21000, skips 6 oil changes. Total for a regular oil change w/filter was running him right at $24.95 at an oil change place. Amsoil runs him about $40 a change.

7 X 25 = $175
1 X 40 = $40

Not to mention the down time. The Amsoil guy he deals with even comes and gets the truck while he is working and has it all ready when he gets off work. Sweet deal in the long run. Even if you fear 20K + on an oil change and do it at 10 K, you are still saving a bunch of bread... :thumbsup:

Synthetic oil for sure, the fuel savings is worth it now. Try Pennzoil for the cheapest but best lower level quality synthetic, it's under $19 at Walmart. Go with Amsoil and a bypass filter kit for high end long term use. Regards,

I've read several independent studies and they all say that AMSOIL is much higher quality than the others. With that being said, if you change your oil religiously than you probably won't be able to tell the difference or even need Amsoil. BUT in my case we drive the truck a LOT on the highway, and I don't always have the time to change the oil right away when the mileage is ready. So in my case I use Mobil One full synthetic, or Amsoil when I can get it. The Amsoil is awesome because you can run it for a year or up to 35K miles and it's still in awesome shape, just a little darker. I use the Series 2000 0W30 in my 350Z, and 5W30 in the explorer.

One of the "independant" lab tests says that regular penzoil NON synthetic oil is better than Mobil 1 as far as the "scuff" test is concerned.... hmm, Mobil 1 is the number one competitor for Amsoil isn't it? That's the reason I search for more than one study group, not just the one they conveniently link you to on their home webpage. I still like Amsoil, even though I'm not 100% sure of their "independent" test results.

JOE

GLFREDRICK,

Thanks for the math lesson. Don't you have to change the filters on these synthetic oils more than the oil? How does the cost of the Amsoil filters compare with the standard filter?

GLFREDRICK,

Thanks for the math lesson. Don't you have to change the filters on these synthetic oils more than the oil? How does the cost of the Amsoil filters compare with the standard filter?

I've typically changed the filter at mid-point in my expected oil life. I also add whatever oil is needed to bring the stick back to the full mark. Typically, the amount that the filter holds. In my years of experience with Amsoil, I've gone between 16K and 25K between changes and never burn any amount to speak of, even in engines with over 250K on them.

I don't always use Amsoil filters, and am running the Mobil 1 filter on my Trailblazer right now. Cost is in the $5 range. It is a solid filter that is well made, with a finer filter media than similar models from the same manufacturer.

Any GOOD filter will work, WIX, NAPA Gold, Mobil 1, K&N, Amsoil, and others. Stay far away from Fram (of any sort, they are all identical inside the can! - I just cut apart another "extended life" filter the other day - pure junk) as the cardboard end caps and relatively small amount of filtration surface just won't cut it for extended interval oil changes.

Amsoil's bypass filtration setup is second to none. I just haven't invested the $$$ into it yet. Just think "reverse osmosis" for your drinking water and you start to get the idea of how good the by-pass system is. You could really start extending the drain intervals that way -- for what it is worth, a very "green" way to go.

Any API SM GL-4 rated dino oil for ocis of 5k or less.
Anything longer than that use a synth w/ similar ratings.

One of the "independant" lab tests says that regular penzoil NON synthetic oil is better than Mobil 1 as far as the "scuff" test is concerned.... hmm, Mobil 1 is the number one competitor for Amsoil isn't it? That's the reason I search for more than one study group, not just the one they conveniently link you to on their home webpage. I still like Amsoil, even though I'm not 100% sure of their "independent" test results.

JOE

I'm not sure about the test you referenced ^^^

I've seen EXACTLY the opposite in my own testing (I used to work for a major hydraulic control valve company as a quality control technician). In a recirculating ball test (run a ball bearing under pressure on a rotating shaft, with a measured oil drip, measure length of time, and groove size) I've seen Pennzoil cut a shaft in half in hours. I've also seen Amsoil run without making a mark on the shaft for over 30 days... That is what initially sold me on their product.

I've also seen a good number of engines that have needed major rebuilds where Pennzoil was the oil of choice. My engine machine shop owner says he can tell you which oil you ran when he looks at the wear... So far he's been right every time. There are a number of threads where we've discussed this topic, so do a search.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My manual calls for 5/30. Ford changed their recommendation to 5/20. Amsoil tells me that their best quality oil (Series 2000) in 0/30 is a great oil for my ride. I went with their recommendation a year ago combined with one of their EA filters. No complaints and gotta love extended oil change intervals. I won't get dragged into the argument of why you MUST change your oil every 3000 miles. I used to believe that too.

Back