right size rim? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

right size rim?

I was looking at getting some new tires and rims today from tirepackage.com and when i went to select the rims, they didnt have the size i was looking for...15X8, w/ the 3.75" of backspacing. they only had one with a backspacing of 3 5/16". Would this still work? if not then what about a 15X10 w/ 3 5/8" of backspacing? thanks

as I understand it

a 15x8 with less backspacing will stick out farther, so following these pretty charts (provided by DeRocha at somepoint in the past), but you may (probably will) need Flares if it sticks out tooo far to keep it road legal, as well as it may put the tire too far forward/backward in a turn, so it might rub on the fender or bumper at full turn. I think that covers what I know.

18205backspacing.jpg

18205Tires2-med.jpg

(thank you DeRocha)

To help us help you, what size tires are you using, as tires need to be wide enough to stay seated, especially if you a offroading with them aired down.

um, they would be 33X12.5's

3 3/4 and 3 5/16th isnt enough of a difference to worry about. These wheels will stick out less than 1/2" more than the 3 3/4's. You will never even notice less than a half inch.

Back