• Register Today It's free!

Rims

McKenzieGary

Reaction score
City, State
Siler city, north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 ford explorer xlt
Have a 2017 xlt with stock rims 18” - 7.5. tire size 245/60r18 looking at get jegs baja 8 steel rim size 15” - 8 or 9 wide setting on a 31” tire. Seen where someone said he could go that small because of his brakes. If I ever did a big brake kit the 15s wouldn’t work any way. Looking to have 33’s on it in the future after a lift 3” front and 1.5 in the back. That’s the biggest lift I can find. Or 2.5 in the front and 1.5 in the back is next size down but both lifts cost the same. Off topic but looking for bullet hole rims for it and those were $77.XX on Amazon or should I keep my stock rim and put a tire close to a 31” tire or get the bullet holes in a 15” 16” 17” rim or get it in a 18”rim I just like 15” rims. Not sure what to do. Will have 1” wheel spacers to help with the tire being wider so it won’t rub. Might have to get with 10” or 9” tire or equivalent and I’m building explorer as overlander not mudding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have a 2017 xlt with stock rims 18” - 7.5. tire size 245/60r18 looking at get jegs baja 8 steel rim size 15” - 8 or 9 wide setting on a 31” tire. Seen where someone said he could go that small because of his brakes. If I ever did a big brake kit the 15s wouldn’t work any way. Looking to have 33’s on it in the future after a lift 3” front and 1.5 in the back. That’s the biggest lift I can find. Or 2.5 in the front and 1.5 in the back is next size down but both lifts cost the same. Off topic but looking for bullet hole rims for it and those were $77.XX on Amazon or should I keep my stock rim and put a tire close to a 31” tire or get the bullet holes in a 15” 16” 17” rim or get it in a 18”rim I just like 15” rims. Not sure what to do. Will have 1” wheel spacers to help with the tire being wider so it won’t rub. Might have to get with 10” or 9” tire or equivalent and I’m building explorer as overlander not mudding.
Spacers?

I doubt that 15" wheels would fit on your XLT since it should have the heavy-duty brakes. Also, the maximum diameter variance when compared to OEM size should not exceed 3%.

Peter

I doubt that 15" wheels would fit on your XLT since it should have the heavy-duty brakes. Also, the maximum diameter variance when compared to OEM size should not exceed 3%.

Peter
Ok thanks. Is 3% for rim size or both tire and rim? Cause after I got to looking around for rim in 16” 17” 18” rims got expensive quick. Probly just buy tires 255/60 r18 is 30” and 265/60r18 is 30.5 and 265/60r18 is +3% diameter. Is this for a stock height vehicle to not exceed the 3% so tires fit or even if you have a lift to not exceed 3%? What happens if you if you exceed 3%? beside transmission and parts wear.

Ok thanks. Is 3% for rim size or both tire and rim? Cause after I got to looking around for rim in 16” 17” 18” rims got expensive quick. Probly just buy tires 255/60 r18 is 30” and 265/60r18 is 30.5 and 265/60r18 is +3% diameter. Is this for a stock height vehicle to not exceed the 3% so tires fit or even if you have a lift to not exceed 3%? What happens if you if you exceed 3%? beside transmission and parts wear.
The 3% rule applies to the overall diameter of the rim and tire. It is a generally accepted rule to go by. Increased sizes add extra weight and put more strain on brakes and suspension components as well as affecting features like ABS and Traction Control. Some Explorers allow for the adjustment of the factory-programmed wheel sizes to allow those features to adjust to the increased size as long as it's within the 3% difference. I don't know about lifts except that they will change the overall handling characteristics of the vehicle.
Some members here have gone beyond the 3% rule and apparently have not encountered any issues. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Peter

Back