rocker arms not lining up with valves (4.0 ohv) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rocker arms not lining up with valves (4.0 ohv)

red.EDDIE.4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer 4x4
i have done some searching and found nothing. hopefully somebody has some input here. this is my problem. the rocker arms are not lining up with my valves. they are sealed power rocker arms. the guides/springs and junk are all factory.
DSC00047.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

one solution i had was maybe machining out some of the material on the side of the rocker arm or on the side of the aluminum things that the guide rod slides thru. maybe? any ideas? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats normal. Mine are the same way. Not the answer you wanted, I know.

side subject. Assuming that paint on the springs. The oil will eat it up and that paint will flow in the oil. You don't have "much" but I've seen paint plug an oil pickup screen before (they painted the entire valley on the block).

As for the orig question. My rockers didn't quite line up either but I don't remember them being that far off. Machining is the only thing I can think of, but the way the rockers are held onto shaft, I don't know if that will work. (pins/springs)

~Mark

@Dono- glad to know somebody else has the same type of issue.

@Maniak- yes thats paint on the springs and i was planning to get it off. eventually...but i will now that i know its got the chance to mess with the motor.
i may try to machine one or two first to see if its possible. ill just wait for a few more opinions and see what becomes of it.

Is there a chance that 1/2 the rockers are different and some are in the wrong locations? Weird...
I'm looking into some ratio rockers...
http://www.summitracing.com/search/.../engine-family/ford-v6?keyword=roller rockers
It says Pedestal mount and a 4.0 has a rail system... WTH? How is that gonna work?
As for paint inside the motor, I read an article in either Hot Rod or Car Craft (decades ago) that you can paint your valley with Glyptal ($40+/pint) and the oil won't sit in the valley, Seals up the porosity of the cast iron and gives it a smooth surface for the oil to run off so it sits in your oil pan and not on top of the block/heads. I used to use a lot of it sealing substation transformer gaskets and it is highly oil resistant. The mineral oil in a transformer is somewhere between baby oil and diesel fuel... nasty stuff! One day I had to go spelunking in a x-frmer chest deep in the oil! Talk about a bad day!

Looking again, the rocker misalignment can't be normal!! There is DEFINITELY something wrong there!! I wouldn't run it like that if it was mine! Do some more investigation, contact Sealed Power, send a pic and ask them WTF?

Another point on ratio roller rockers is spring bind! I didn't know if I was gonna go with 1.73:1 or 1.8:1, leaning toward the smaller just in case of valve clearance, but I didn't think about spring bind!

It almost looks like the intake and exhaust rockers are reversed from where they should be on every cylinder. Looking closely you can see they are different.

Its just an illusion. The rockers are all identical. When I replaced my rocker arms I notice when re-assembly those pillars that the bolt goes through that holds the shaft assembly onto the head. The hole that the bolt goes through in the pillar is bigger in diameter then the bolt quite a bit. So the pillar can be shifted on the shaft more left or right centering the rockers more even. I think this person or someone who had the assembly apart assembled the pillars to far to one side slightly.

Back