Rockers and Pushrods, LIM gasket and Injectors -- Step by step | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rockers and Pushrods, LIM gasket and Injectors -- Step by step

Afterthoughts:

I have noticed on E-bay some sellers selling refurbished injector for the explorer. In some of the cases, they are selling the orange case 19lb injectors aka the "updated design" with the 4 pintles to spray from. Now, while these will work, I should note that these are technically wrong for our application. Our pistons and heads are designed around the spray pattern from stock injectors with the single pintle design. You should only replace your injectors with those ones. The other ones will work, but, rather than seeing any benefit from using them, you would likely lose power (note that any loss would be minuscule in nature, so it will not really make much difference).

Just a FYI here is all being I was using this very thread in doing an upper and lower intake R&R right now.

In tearing down two very stock explorers on a 1994 2x4 and one a 4x4 1993 I have found that the injectors were in fact the 4 hole spray pattern ones from the factory. Both trucks had red injectors.

One truck was a Calif. truck and one was a 49 state federal truck. I own both now and know the history of both.
The 94 was my nefs tell he blew it up. He received it from an uncle that had it from new so we know what was done to it before now. The 93 is my DD I have owned from about 1996 on with two owners before me and I have there full service records as both had all service done at the same dealership.

So maybe the earlier ones did use the earlier style injectors but I know at lest on these two stock ones they did come from the factory with the newer style injectors with the 4 whole spray head.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am working on a reference guide for 1st generation fuel systems, and I'm not sure where I got this source, but I can confirm that the 93 model year had some batch and some sequencial EFI systems. The lower rated injector is for the batch because it triggers multiple times per cycle, where the sequencial only triggers once.

Wow... I hadn't realized that before. But after looking, I guess you are right, there were some multiport injectors that came in explorers. Still, I should note that the spray pattern off those orange injectors are wrong, plus they are 19lb/hr injectors, which is the wrong rate for a 4.0 OHV anyways. They came in the 5.0 V8 explorers though I believe. I haven't been able to find anything on sequential injection/batch injection yet, but I'll keep looking. As far as I have always been led to believe, almost no ford vehicle came with sequential injection until later (except on some of the older HO V8s).

Still, best case is to stick with the original injectors or matching replacements to your stock injectors. There are lots of shops that can clean and flowmatch your old injectors, and as long as they are part of a regular service (aka don't wait until they are so bad they are stuck) they will last almost indefinitely.

really? Wait no, turns out I was wrong again.... I should try not to make a habit of this..... I just checked and the 93 up do use a different style of injector.... ok, well, either way, one should stick with stock or matching replacements with injectors.

Thank You for taking the time to post and supply photos for this project. Very Helpful !!

FIND: My Fel Pro gasket kit Gasket Kit (- FEL-PRO MS98005T) has a 2 part set, instead of the 1 piece I took out of my '93 4.0 L. There is no gasket for the valley area?
Is that the right one ?
Thanks for your thoughts.
I answered my own question, you need the valley gasket, to keep the oil from splashing up, no other reason that I could fine.
I am posting pics here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399036 of this re and re and AC removal for anyone needing more info, many thanks to Find and the other posters.
I have a write up on injectors there as well, got mine service at Mr Injector.

Back