rolled and totaled my explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rolled and totaled my explorer

well this saturday night after supper when it was still daylight i was following a friend in my truck to his cabin, well come to be on the way there, we had to venture across about 5mi of gravel road, and loose gravel, i came to a S-turn where on one side was a pond maybe 2acres big and on the left side a tiny pond maybe 200ft back in from a prarie, going into the S-turn there was some nasty loose gravel and washboards and i lost control, trying to counter-steer out of the slide i over did it, started to slide the opisite direction, counter-steered again too much, this time comming to the last turn in the S-turn and slide right into the ditch nearly sideways w/ my front left tire going in first, my tire bit into the soft wet dirt and threw my veichle into a 3 dimentional roll over having my front left hit first, then smashing my back left, rolled over once and landed on the wheels, engine was still running and i drove out of the ditch and drove to my friends cabin, called my parents and the cops, got a report done, and here i am

i wasnt hurt, i had a friend w/ me, he wasnt hurt, we were wearing our seatbelts, i blacked out after my front left hit, but while rolling i could hear all the coins in my change holder fly all over the place, could see again after we were right side up in the ditch

the insurance company came today and said i rolled it "hard", they said if the veichle wasnt one of substansial weight, the out come would of been much different, and they said it was amazing that we walked away w/o being hurt, and only rolling once, aparently the frame is bent, and if they would repair it the best they could, it would never be like it was stock because of the twist in the frame, so in other words, totaled, i have a couple days to get out of it what i put into it, like xm radio and cell phone stuff....and now pictures

roll1.jpg

roll2.jpg

roll3.jpg

roll4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good thing you are ok. Now how didnt any windows break???? And that is nuts it landed on the wheels too!!! Lucky

one of those live and learn experiences. Wish I had some cash to offer ya, I'd love the V8 and tranny out of it. What's the plans for the next vehicle, better be another x, this one sure proved it's worth.:D

:chug: :chug:

Some one has good Kharma! Keep her and part it out, if you can?

man, judging from sheet metal damage.. you just barely totalled it. That is totally trail rig able... hehe.. just cut off the roof and SAS it and you'll have a V8 driven trail rig!

the roof isnt even that bad u could leave the roof =) pound the frame to a somewhat straight peice of metal again..big tires lift and u now have a v-8 with leather interior trail rig =) =) i wanna ride lol

but really it kinds looks like u hit it going just fast enough that it spent little to no time on the roof just kinda used its weight to lob itself back to the wheels u got really lucky had u been going slower it would have stopped on the roof.... ford needs to make an add out of this to counter there pos bridgstone tire thing

Definately buy it back with a salvage title and use it as a trail rig; or it's probably totally fixable (though you'd want to get an opinion about the frame) for a daily driver.

What is the salvage buy-back price, and how much are you getting for it?

the front windshield is pretty bad, its cracked in both upper corners all the way down into the middle

i loved my explorer, it was pretty hard for me to accept that i rolled it, if at all posibilities i want another veichle like the explorer, im not sure i guess

you all say that the truck wouldnt be that hard to repair, but would it be worth it, the insurance guy said i rolled it really hard and that the frame is twisted and bent up, only the driver and right rear door open, and the front passanger if i took off the front right pannel, should i take it to a body shop and get it valued?

one thing i thought it would be cool to do is maybe save the truck, buy a xl explorer and swap in parts like the leather seats ect, but im no mechanic so im not sure if my idea would work

the person to value the truck should be here sometime this week, the insurance guy said she will value the truck, write out a check to us, and then haul it away....

buy a ol xl or somthin and swap the moter and leather and such to the xl

Notice the jag in the 2nd pic ;)
hopefully ya get another nice ride
You should just ask your ma if ya can drive the jag from now on.:D

Sorry to hear about your accident. At least you came out unharm. That's always a good thing. I had forgotten how nice the Limited models are. You don't see too many of those here or on the road especially in white. So what are your plans? Are you getting another Explorer?

I'm no expert on body work, but from the photos it appears that only the body is bent. I doubt the frame is very tweaked if at all. I would bring it to a body shop to see what they would get to fix it like new.

Do your wheels appear to track straight? It doesn't look like the suspension took much of a hit from the photos.

I have seen MUCH worse damage from slow offroad rollovers and their trucks were fixed just fine.

Glad your safe!

Im amazed the damage wasnt worse!!!!!!

That could be a very capable trail rig.

i tell ya "BUILT FORD TOUGH"

but really it used to be "THE BEST NEVER REST" like how the engine still worked :D.

Good luck with it man!

well, ive showed the veichle to a few people, and they say "thats what you get for buying a ford", which really pisses me off, the thing saved my life

but i will try to get it into a body shop and see what they say, thanks to all who have posted :)

i will keep yall updated...

gimme a ride, ill roll it again :)
Gotta take it around the banked gravel roads by Pribbels house out by fish lake goin 60. I got the van goin about 45 around there and she whipped around it pretty hard. Alot of fun.

I'm sorry you rolled it man. :( I love the color on that truck!! I'm very glad you and your friend came out ok. Keep up updated!! :)

See how much you can buy it back for!! I'll buy it and swap the motor and tranny into my X! Along witht the interior!! If they say you can buy it back let me know

Glad your ok, amazing that you landed right side up.

This happened sat night right? around what time?

I ask because saturday night around 3-4 in the morning i had a dream of rolling my explorer. Basically what you described. Not on an s turn though, but weaving in and out similar to an s turn i guess. I can remember thinking during the dream ( very very vivid dream, i woke up with my legs flexed :eek: ) that i hoped it landed right side up. Funny thing I wasnt wearing my seatbelt in the dream, but I always do. Well that's my freakish coincidence.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an odd question, has anyone ever rolled a first gen explorer? I ask cause I wonder how safe they are compared to a 2nd gen with air bags.

Back