Ronin's 3rd Gen rock slider build thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ronin's 3rd Gen rock slider build thread

As far as I know:

You could argue that it's easier to weld them on. But my opinion is that it would not be so easy to take them off if you do that. Again, may be a non-issue for some people.

Bolt on is trickier because you have come up with brackets and make sure they are strong enough...so it adds more things to the list that you have to design and fabricate. The plus side is that you can remove them more easily if needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did a little welding this evening...started putting together the outer tube sections and then I planned to take that assembly and weld it to the main tube:

062C0089-orig.jpg

Rookie fabricator mistake, I forgot that long pieces of metal can get distorted from the heat of welding.

In this case, the outer tube bowed outward a bit, so when I went to weld the outer tube assembly to the inner, I thought I had messed up and cut the cross supports too short. Not a hard fix, just need to clamp it down in the middle where it bows out and weld it. I didn't have a wide enough clamp, so I'll have to pick one up this week.

Here's some closer pics and you can see where the cross supports are too far awa due to the distortion:

3D97C291-orig.jpg

6E00CB2F-orig.jpg

391E5069-orig.jpg

E9D2FD3D-orig.jpg

Very Nice!! Still surprised there isnt an aftermarket out there considering how many Explorers there are.

Rock Sliders in general for Explorers. Have seen a few custom ones on the forum, nothing mass produced for purchase. Dont have the tools, time, or skill to make them.

Should be able to finish these things up today. Well, except for the mounting brackets. It'll be a few weeks on those since I've got a trip for work that will keep me out of town for a bit and I need to pick up some 1/4" plate and some big grade 8 bolts and nuts.

I've been thinking about what I'm going to finish them with. Wrinkle black powedercoating would look great but not sure I want to spend the money for that. I have heard good things about Durabak being very durable and resistant to fading. Herculiner might also be a good option.

DominicanX came over today and after we got his new transfer case skid plate mounted up, he gave me a hand with getting the outer tube assembly fit up and clamped to the main tube so it could be welded. Anyway, I think it came out well at the end of the afternoon:

955446CF-orig.jpg

AE3E2058-orig.jpg

70B09A4F-orig.jpg

87EB5478-orig.jpg

Other slider is about halfway done, should finish it tonight.

Came out great!! Re: Finish, nothing beats powder coat, especially Jon's (Turdle)! I did receive a sample piece of Durabak in the mail. Looks like decent stuff-no experience. My nerf bars started to rust a little (only 17 years old...) Had them sandblasted, primered with Matrix epoxy paint and Duplicolor bedliner a few years back. Of course, rust never sleeps, repaired the passenger side last year. Was able to sand, fill, and respray with the same Duplicolor bedliner. They came out decent. Not show quality but decent.

Thanks! I wish i lived near Humboldt, kansas so I could get Turdle's powdercoating without the shipping costs :). So far these things only weigh maybe 50 lbs a piece but when I add the frame supports and brackets they'll probably come in at 75 or so.

Appreciate the input on coatings....got a few weeks to work it out. I wonder what it would cost to have them line x'd ?

Both sliders done.

Won't have time to get the brackets started before I have to travel, so no more updates for a few weeks. I am pretty happy I was able to get them both done in a week just working an hour or two at a time though.

I have looked at a lot of options for coatings and I think I will have them Line-X'd. I know it doesn't do much for making them "slide" on rocks but I don't see that happening too terribly often anyway.

Did you get them Line X'd? Still looking for an affordable place to re-coat my step bars.

Whoops, it pays to re-read before posting.... Thanks for that Triton.

i cant wait to see how you do your brackets. im doing soem homework on getting some rocksliders myself. a buddy of mine told me that the simplest way to get rock sliders would be to find a set that are close in length to my ST, and then to cut it in the middle and re-weld it if it will be a little too long. i found these that work for a 4 door tacoma. they are 78" long and have their own brackets, that way i wont have to cut them, and i can use some bolts to fit them to the frame of my trac. i emailed the supplier about how long the arms are that have the brackets on the end of them so that i can see if they will allow the actual sliders to reach out properly.

http://www.trail-gear.com/rock-sliders

I'm back. Going to get back to work on these things.

I need to take off my stock running boards and confirm a few measurements, then I'll go pick up some 1/4" plate and start cutting and welding. Won't get anything done this weekend because of some other obligations but I'm going to see what I can get done before then.

I'll post an update soon hopefully.

Great thread! I am going to use this design for my sliders. Have you got them installed yet?

Great thread! I am going to use this design for my sliders. Have you got them installed yet?

Not yet...been swamped with work and crap for a while now. This week I'll be able to get the stock running boards off, build the brackets, and hopefully finish them up by the end of next weekend.

Ideally I would want to LineX them, but for now I'll probably just spray paint with a textured black paint and have them bedlined later.

Not yet...been swamped with work and crap for a while now. This week I'll be able to get the stock running boards off, build the brackets, and hopefully finish them up by the end of next weekend.

Ideally I would want to LineX them, but for now I'll probably just spray paint with a textured black paint and have them bedlined later.

Are you going with 3 or 4 brackets per side? I am thinking about just going with 3 because of my skid plates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back