Turdle and Gmanpaint's Rock Slider Build Thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Turdle and Gmanpaint's Rock Slider Build Thread

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
Ding Ding
Subscibing for ring side seats:popcorn:

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Whoa!
I thought we were all past this stuff.

Anyway-Froader, yes I did remove my plastic and even pounded up the body seam under there. My touch foam must have been a bad batch, it was still expanding after days, so some of the holes look bad. I herc'd a portion also, then painted over all of the lower silver

here is the side views--forgive the dirt

jonsdriver.jpg

Jonspassenger.jpg

and the real issue can be seen clearly in this view-look at those silly ol brackets--just begging to be plucked off

stupidbracket.jpg

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Take them off, the bars make excellent pry bars or spare tool material.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
and the real issue can be seen clearly in this view-look at those silly ol brackets--just begging to be plucked off

stupidbracket.jpg

Did I just hear "coil over"?

~Mark

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
Just beat said torsion bar mounts until they rip then go solid :D

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
The nylon was not my idea. Nylon idea was mentioned for under the sliders. Jon knows what I am talking about. I guess I can see how you guys think I am the bad guy here. I tried to help out as much as I could. Which one of you guys can just stay away from home and your job for a week with out planning on it? Sounds easy for some of you I guess, but not for me.

We were both all stressed out and I am all good--I hope you are also.
Please guys, take the popcorn to a different channel ok? We have work to do here, let's keep the priority's in line. :D

d 60 or d 44 debate is raging in my head--and the coilover ifs still wants to butt it's way in there. These are matters for another thread, which I will start when I am ready for the truck to be down for a while.

I mean, why not, it always is anyway. :rolleyes:

99ex22

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wilsonville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer
I would coil over the IFS...just my opinion. Have you actually ever hit the brackets on anything? I have never once hit them on anything or hung them up on anything and ive taken my truck though some crazy stuff.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I would coil over the IFS...just my opinion. Have you actually ever hit the brackets on anything? I have never once hit them on anything and ive taken my truck though some crazy stuff.
Not JT but Blee1099 snapped one torsion bar on a rock a few years back.

But for the cost, I would skip the coil over and just go solid axle. Even if it was a Dana30 swap, that I think would be more bang for the buck than a coil over conversion with the stock A-arms.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
I would coil over the IFS...just my opinion. Have you actually ever hit the brackets on anything? I have never once hit them on anything or hung them up on anything and ive taken my truck though some crazy stuff.

Yes,
I got into a spot where the front was making a big circle and coming down on the bracket. It was fun, and just a matter of time before we were a low rider again. And, I chipped the powdercoat, I mean WTF?

99ex22

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wilsonville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer
Yes,
I got into a spot where the front was making a big circle and coming down on the bracket. It was fun, and just a matter of time before we were a low rider again. And, I chipped the powdercoat, I mean WTF?

I see....I guess yours hang down a little further than mine because of the superlift kit too. Am I right or am I wrong? Im trying to picture it in my head....They hang down 4" lower than the factory ones but at the same time your under body is about 2" higher than mine....hmmmm IDK ive confused myself.

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
ok i finished the popcorn....:D

so when the mass production gonna start?

e30mike

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsport,Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 x 2wd
Awsome work, They come out great!!

SVO42

Reaction score
City, State
Hatton, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XL
They were nice--I saw them at SMORR, too. I think we need to see how well they hold up on a really good workout.......

Get rid of those torsion bars and go solid, man! C'mon--you know you want a D60! :cool:

:D

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
They were nice--I saw them at SMORR, too. I think we need to see how well they hold up on a really good workout.......

Get rid of those torsion bars and go solid, man! C'mon--you know you want a D60! :cool:

:D

Well, at least one of us are planning to rid our selves of the torsion bars!;)

They did there job on at least 2 diff occasions at Smorr. Worked great!

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.