Roof Aluminum?

shewcj01

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Explorer Black- 202A
Hey everybody,

I was cleaning the 11" of snow we got yesterday in KY off my wife's 2014 platinum white LTD and noticed that there is a 3mm square rust spot right above the windshield on the passengers side. Looks like maybe a rock hit it and the over time it rusted. Then I got to wondering if the roof was aluminum on these? If so it can't be rust, but I have been reading about "rail dust" on these white vehicles. Anybody got any thoughts? Or should I just take it to a body shop for them to check out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easy way to see if it's aluminum, does a magnet stick to it? (may want to put a rag between car and magnet as to not scratch it).

Yes? aluminium
no? not

easy way to see if it's aluminum, does a magnet stick to it? (may want to put a rag between car and magnet as to not scratch it).

yes? Not
no? Aluminum

ftfy

I tested my 2011 Explorer with a magnet and found that, as TerryVanpool indicated, only the hood is aluminum. Not sure if that has changed on the 2015 models. On my 2014 MKT, both the hood and liftgate are aluminum.

Peter

I once had the 2002 ford explorer eddie bauer and the fenders were aluminum...

Thanks for all the help guys, I am going to schedule an appointment to have a local body shop take a look at it. We have had the car only about 10 months and plan to keep it for a long time! Only about 15K on the clock so I want to get it taken care of quickly.

-Caleb

The roof right above the windshield sure sounds like tin when heavy rain drops hit it at a stop.

I believe that noise was due to the lack of insulation in that particular area. There is a TSB for the 'Tin Roof Noise'. Some of those that had it done said it helped. After reading some of the posts on the issue I decided it wasn't worth having done on my 2011. I think the issue was addressed by Ford in later model years.

Peter

Update: Got the estimated done this weekend. Thanks to the tri-coat white the bill will be $600!! They have to remove the roof rails and paint the majority of the roof. I'm gonna bite the bullet and get it done. Got 2 estimates at $1000+, and they were going to remove the windshield. I said no way to that, not gonna open that can of worms if I don't have too. I knew an expensive ride would have higher priced repairs, oh well the wife absolutely loves this car.

Back