Roof Plug for future lighting? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Plug for future lighting?

I have my headliner down from some repairs I did to the roof rack, and while it is down I figured this would be a good time to wire for lights I'd like to someday put on the roof (after getting a surco rack).

The question is: Could I buy a plug that I could install into the roof that I could simply cap until I'm ready to get the rack and lights? This way I could just wire the lights to the other side of the plug and plug it in.

I know I'd need a really good plug to make this work... something weather resistant... maybe from a marine shop or something.

Is this a wise course of action? Is there a better way? If not, any suggestions on the plug?

Thanks!

Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, sounds good to me...do something like docvijay did. he used a plug that youd use for like a trailer wiring harness.

Yup, a weather resistant trailer harness will work. Get one with a cap that can go over at least one end.

Any national chains I may want to look that I may have here in South Jersey? Or am I better off trying to find a specialty store?

Ed

just throwing this out there... if he had a bunch of lights on there, would the trailer plug be able to handle the current? I dont know how much current those plugs can take, I just thought I'd bring it up.

if you do use a plug i would secure it with some bathroom silicone, on the roof where you plug it. but why would u want to do this now...cause if the lights dont meet up with the hole when u get them you gonna have to rig it to make it work, not to mention the worry of rain in the cab...why not just drill t when u get the lights. my 2c

When you take the headliner down you have to breaks some of the clips. Ford sells the kit for 30 bucks for all of them. I'm trying to avoid having to take the liner down again and pay for new clips.

The other option would be for me to just run the wires through with a good deal of slack up there and wrap them up and tie them to the current rack or something?

Ed

just leave some slack or keep the headliner off till you put the lights up =P

Ok, I figured I'd check a little more into the plug idea and this is what I came up with:

This is the plug with both sides connected.

Attachments

• plug1.jpg
    plug1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 211

This is apart. This is a marine quality plug, designed for ships so I think I'm good on quality... the only issue I am worried about is the hight.

The total hight is a little over 2 inches.... the question is will it get in the way of the rack??

Anyone know how much clearance there is between a typical safari rack and the roof?

Ed

Attachments

• plug2.jpg
    plug2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 198

Back