Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Lmt
Hey Ford, listen up...here is my wish list after a few weeks

- second row heated seats option
- window wiper auto sensor available on lower end models as an option
- default selection on gauges. They seem to revert to tach randomly
- fix iPhone issues with sync
- better way to reset SYNC system than pulling fuses!!! totally unacceptable
- publish list of features/resolutions that come with each SYNC/iTouch upgrade.
- publish known SYNC limitations or issues with major phones (iphone!!!)
- improve touch screen response time
- fix random clock reset issue!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

- fix iPhone issues with sync....

it's not going to happen: that's the whole purpose of Bill Gate came up with SYNC! use Microsoft! use Zune! haha (well, I am always anti-iEverything and i do not own any Zune)

by the way, one thing i would like them to add...HID headlights option on lower end model. not even available on the current XLT!

it's not going to happen: that's the whole purpose of Bill Gate came up with SYNC! use Microsoft! use Zune! haha (well, I am always anti-iEverything and i do not own any Zune)

by the way, one thing i would like them to add...HID headlights option on lower end model. not even available on the current XLT!

I think the whole point of the high-end Limited is the exclusivity. There has to be some options that are only availble on the Limited to get people to spend the extra cash.

compass & passenger lumbar should be on ALL!

@terry: you and your compass again? lol

- second row heated seats option*I would add that I want a heated steering wheel*
- window wiper auto sensor available on lower end models as an option
- default selection on gauges. They seem to revert to tach randomly *didn't notice...but I can agree if mine ever does this. It only has when I switched to manual mode*

I'd like the 22+ gallon fuel tank back like I had in my 2007. Heck, I'd like the 30+ gallon capacity that the Expedition has.

I'd like the 22+ gallon fuel tank back like I had in my 2007. Heck, I'd like the 30+ gallon capacity that the Expedition has.

yeah, I don't understand that one, I'd even be happy with my 20 back. Seems like if you buy a car that gets 50 mpg you always get a 5 gal. tank, maybe they think our butts get sore if we don't stop to buy gas real often???:D

yeah, I don't understand that one, I'd even be happy with my 20 back. Seems like if you buy a car that gets 50 mpg you always get a 5 gal. tank, maybe they think our butts get sore if we don't stop to buy gas real often???:D

Part of the fuel economy equation is the weight of the vehicle... liquid weighs a LOT, reducing the size of the tank can cut lbs off the vehicle, thereby increasing gas mileage. It's an interesting tradeoff, I hate to stop and fill up on trips too.

More gas = extra weight = < mpg

More gas = extra weight = < mpg

True. But, insignificant. Gas is about 6.1 pounds per gallon. Even an additional 15 gallons would weight less than 92 pounds. That's less than 0.15% of the truck's total.

I think Ford made the reduction for 2 main reasons:

1) A committment to total weight reduction (marketing).
2) Keeping owners from freaking out when a fill-up could have been over $100

A minor thing, but I'd like to see the puddle lamps and interior lights come on when you approach the vehicle (proximity sensor) like on my '09 Highlander. On the Ex, you have to physically touch the handle to initiate this sequence.:(

A minor thing, but I'd like to see the puddle lamps and interior lights come on when you approach the vehicle (proximity sensor) like on my '09 Highlander. On the Ex, you have to physically touch the handle to initiate this sequence.:(

Or just hit the unlock button on the FOB.

I'm on the verge of buying my first domestic-built new car and I really want it to be an Explorer (or Flex). Coming from the European car market, here are the things I have come to like and would want in my Explorer:
1) Heated steering wheel. VERY nice in the cold months, especially on my aching knuckles.
2) Heated REAR seats - every rear seat passenger has commented on them in our BMW.
3) Good exterior perimeter lighting. Not something I even considered until our BMW- now that I have it, I really like it, especially for my wife at night.
4) I just read another review and this one seems to be addressed already! Quality audio. I don't want over-boosted bass. I do want decent sound. We just had a Chevy Impala rental car for a week and the stereo sounded horrible, even to my ears. Too much treble, no mid-range, little bass. Yes, I played with the tone controls...
5) Improved seat cushion foam. I have seen several new Fords with seriously wrinkled upholstery in the seat cushions- they look worse than my 10 year old leather seats in our old X5. I stopped at the dealership yesterday and one of the fresh-off-the-truck Explorers (still had shipping protection, etc.) had wrinkles in the leather at the base of the side bolster on the driver's seat.
6) More customer control over vehicle options. This may be a web-site limitation, but there is very little ability to choose options. I'll know when I talk to the dealer.

Finally, a big THANKS! to Ford for bringing quality, design, and attention to detail to the American market. I am thrilled to finally have a domestic manufacturer producing so many interesting vehicles.

Heated Steering Wheel
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated Steering Wheel

But then I will be disappointed because I plan on buying my 2011 and not leasing.

The heated steering wheel would make the 2011 Limited perfect in every way as far as options!

For those that have never had a heated steering, it is an amazing feature for those of us that live in cold climates!

A contrarian view:

1. real engine choices - like most vehicles have in Europe:

let people who want their 280 hp have it, but don't force everyone into it;
some people would be willing to pay more for 350 hp regardless of fuel consumption;
other people (despite what marketing dept might claim) would pay extra for 180hp engine if it would offer 30 mpg (hwy) - even if it would mean (for example) significantly reduced towing capacity and slower acceleration

2. real options choices

If someone wants second row captain seating - he or she should be able to get it in any version - instead of having to buy a 'Limited' and 'Deluxe seating package' with tons of other option he or she may not want. Same applies for adaptive cruise control etc.

If someone wants a 17" steel rims on his limited he should be able to just order it that way, without having to buy a second set of wheels after he buys his car :)

I am sure geniuses from marketing set it up that way so Ford makes $5000 more selling loaded 'limited' rather than base models, however some people seeing that they can not get what they want will just buy a different (brand) car instead. Will Ford make more money by alienating some potential customers - doubtful.

Its not just Ford that does this. When shopping for other vehicles in its class, in order to get Navigation or even leather seats, a Pilot or Odyssey becomes more expensive than the Explorer. unfortunately automakers have adopted this type of production system. I have owned a couple of VW's. Back in the day, you could pick a la carte, now you cant even add options, its just 5 trim levels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sure wish we could go back to choosing each item we wanted, but I guess that's what we call progress. They make money by making it easier for them & we get the shaft.

Back