• Register Today It's free!

roof rack Question

heydunn

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 AWD XLT 5.0
Does anyone know how to open the roof rack end cap to slide in and out the clips? I'm making a rack to carry wood and I tryed to pull off the end cap but it only came out about 3/4 in. I don't want to break it so I thought I'd ask you guys for help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the stock ones?

if so, on the side there's a lever or a thing ya twist. twist it till it'll move and then slid it off. the front one is screwed to the car but the rear oene you cam move around

Yes it's factory, does the back cap come all the way off?

The back caps do come off. They are screwed in. If you look on top, just in front of the cap you will see a phillips head screw there. That is the screw that holds the rail cap on. Remove that screw and pull the cap out, then you can remove the racks.

P.S. Where in Cali are you?

Thanks for your help, I'm in Tracy, CA.

I have the Yakama "rail rider" towers that fit into the stock Exp rails. Once I remove the bike attachments from the bars the rack works great for hauling wood up top. I use the ratcheting type web tiedowns and all is secure. When hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood I did run a strap through the back windows (open) and over the rack/plywood just to counter some of the lift force generated at highway speeds (I was afraid the stock roof rails might pull UP). Installation of the Yakama rack is simple so I remove it when not in use and they make a bunch of accessories from hard shell carriers, to kayak, to bicycle.

Back