Roof Rail Delete | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rail Delete

Mikey*TX

Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 ST Star White
Soon to be no mo .......... :) Hate them. Had the PIU kit ordered today. I will keep the take off parts in storage so I can have them installed when I trade down the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although I like the rails because they are blacked out gloss, please post pics once you swap them out. Bet it will look really sleek.

One only need look at a 2020 PIU to see the effect. Once I discovered that the roof was the same except for the flush trim piece on the PIU, it became a done deal. I will take a step stool with me today so I can take a roof shot of a PIU at the Ford house today.
Mike

Interesting, please post, realizing now that we can only hold 50 lbs with a moon roof, they're completely useless switch is really sad.

Interesting, please post, realizing now that we can only hold 50 lbs with a moon roof, they're completely useless switch is really sad.
You could probably carry a bit more. I believe the limits are for vehicle stability to ensure that it isn' 'top heavy'.

Peter

Can you provide full part numbers for this? The Ford site blows for getting full part numbers out of it. Thanks!

Heh ........ My servicing dealer can't even get the replacement part # for the PIU inserts. Guess this means a trip to the zone office. It's going to be interesting when the first roof gets can opened like mine did years ago when I intentionally took to a drainage ditch to avoid a driver on my side of the road. The sign I hit went up and over the roof of the 'ol Dodge on edge. Sliced a 3' long slit in the roof.

Heh ........ My servicing dealer can't even get the replacement part # for the PIU inserts. Guess this means a trip to the zone office. It's going to be interesting when the first roof gets can opened like mine did years ago when I intentionally took to a drainage ditch to avoid a driver on my side of the road. The sign I hit went up and over the roof of the 'ol Dodge on edge. Sliced a 3' long slit in the roof.

I'm confused - I thought you said you ordered these yesterday? Did you attempt to and they couldn't find them?

Dealer told me yesterday that they were going to get the part numbers from Ford and order the parts. Today when I went to the dealership to have the roof rails removed, I was advised that until they can obtain the parts, they will not remove the luggage rails. That's fine ........... I will simply do as I should have from the get go.

Dealer told me yesterday that they were going to get the part numbers from Ford and order the parts. Today when I went to the dealership to have the roof rails removed, I was advised that until they can obtain the parts, they will not remove the luggage rails. That's fine ........... I will simply do as I should have from the get go.

Got it. If you can source the part number, please do share with us. It's not available on the parts catalog online either.

Also, side note, unpacked the Setina bar today. Should get it on tomorrow.

Thanks!

Got it. If you can source the part number, please do share with us. It's not available on the parts catalog online either.

Also, side note, unpacked the Setina bar today. Should get it on tomorrow.

Thanks!
From the picture on Setina's website, does it look like their skid plate will fit ? I may wander over to Dana's new installation center in Ft Worth and have them order it if it isn't already in stock.
Spec Your Vehicle - Setina Manufacturing
angle-1-SK0561ITU20-2020-Current-Interceptor-Utility-Skid-Plate-Complete-Assembly-460x396.png
angle-2-SK0561ITU20-2020-Current-Interceptor-Utility-Skid-Plate-Complete-Assembly-460x405.png

For $ 229.00, it is inexpensive insurance against road debris
Mike

Making the trip this morning to Ft Worth to order the skid pan from Dana. While I'm there I will ask if they will remove the luggage rails. As they are able to order PIU parts directly from Ford, they should be able to source the roof rail replacement inserts for the 2020 PIU. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bummed .......... To say the least. On the 6th gen, in order to remove the roof rails, it must now be done from inside the vehicle. Meaning, the headliner must be removed in order to access the mounting hardware. This, according to the book is at best, a 5.5 hr job for a skilled mechanic. Longer if one were to attempt it at home. Labor rate is $125.00 hr. Figuring in the cost of the factory replacement parts, one is looking right at 1 K. At least the ST rails are black !

Back