Rotary Hoist Installed - Any Advice on How To Lift my Ex? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rotary Hoist Installed - Any Advice on How To Lift my Ex?

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
I've finally finished installing my (used) two post asymmetrical lift.

Can anyone advise me on how to hoist the truck? I'm not comfortable with it and don't want to get crushed!

Info I've gathered from the net has told me:
-For my type of (Asymetrical) lift, generally position the vehicle with steering wheel between the columns (I think behind the mirrors is more like it)
-Factory lift points I can reach are slightly forward of the rear spring support, and from a lift "pad" (a thin welded metal rectangle) just behind the front wheels sticking off the frame rail.

I took some pics, but I'm afraid to lift it higher. I wiggled it and it seemed to only very slightly rock back and forth (like 1/2"). Seems like normal play in the hoists arms.
Also, the truck raises slightly crooked. I think its about 3/4" off level. Should I be concerned? The truck seems to always have leaned left a little anyways, but I always thought it was the suspension sag...
hoist2010014.jpg

hoist2010010.jpg

hoist2010009.jpg

hoist2010007.jpg

hoist2010005.jpg

hoist2010001.jpg

I don't like the position of this pad:

hoist2010007.jpg

It should be turned 90 degrees.

Basically they should all resemble this one:

hoist2010010.jpg

the way you have its fine! im a tech for sears an we have 3 lifts like that... for our explorers pull the mirrors right up to the post an lift from the frame! lift it until the back tires get off the ground a few inches an try rocking from the front or rear bumper if it dosent move or slightly rocks your clear!!!

im a tech for sears an we have 3 lifts like that

You do realize, that statement buys you ZERO credibility around here....and possibly even works against you....

Ryan

Back