Rotor Troubles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rotor Troubles

jman_07

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
So my 2001 XLT 4.0SOHC keeps warping rotors we just had the brakes replaced and got new rotors Front brakes are motorcraft Rear brakes are Duralast. Can hear squeaking and feel/hear that the rotors are warped so we turned them about a week later same story warped again.

I am very easy on my brakes but i have never gone through rotors like this before anyway have and ideas Perhaps Performance rotors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So my 2001 XLT 4.0SOHC keeps warping rotors we just had the brakes replaced and got new rotors Front brakes are motorcraft Rear brakes are Duralast. Can hear squeaking and feel/hear that the rotors are warped so we turned them about a week later same story warped again.

I am very easy on my brakes but i have never gone through rotors like this before anyway have and ideas Perhaps Performance rotors?

How are you tightening lug nuts?

Do you have a dragging caliper?

Check your rears. I suspect they're not up to snuff, leaving the majority of braking duties to the fronts which are, of course, being over-utilized.

Nothing is wrong they are all torqued and all assembled properly i believe im going to get drilled and slotted rotors.

Please be careful with pads and rotors, there is sooooooooo much crap out there!!! I had the exact same problem after I literally smoled the pads on my Sport with some agressive mountain tail runs.

After a LOT of research and emails to the specific sources (Hawk, Power Slot, ExplorerExpress and others), I decided to go with Hawk pads, Power Slot Cryo rotors (NO crossdrills as per specific guidance from power slot stating they were more "cosmetic" than anything else) and fresh fluid. I could NOT be happier with the results (Proven, repeatable, hard data - not "I think it feels better")

Here's the thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179180

Notice now when i begin to stop there is a popping sound that goes along with each revolution its doing it on the same rotor that is warped so what would that be?

Back