• Register Today It's free!

Brake Problem

PalmettoXLT

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I just did a brake job recently (10 months ago) and my XLT just recently started to vibrate a lot when I would hit the brakes on the highway going about 55 mph and up. Now it's making a scraping sound when I drive and it sounds like the rotors are warped because it only makes that sound like once every revoloutin. It also makes this scraping noise when I brake but it is continuous when I'm on the brakes. I was thinking it was a warped rotor but that doesnt explain why it makes this noise the whole time when I brake. I also read that sometimes the bolts in the calipers can come loose and cause something like this noise to happen. I plan on working on them monday and tuesday and I just want a plan of attack. I need to know if I need to get my rotors turned (which I doubt b/c I did a brake job so recently), check the bolts in the calipers or whatever. Thanks for the help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure the caliper bolts are tight and the slide pins are greased. Also, were the wheels put on by hand or with an impact gun?

I'll make sure they are tight. And yes, the front wheels were put on by hand in my home garage. I tourqued them down though. Pretty much put all my weight on them to tighten them.

The scraping sound could be a wear indication hitting the rotor. I suspect you need to turn or replace the rotors and check the pads for the postion of the indicator.

The scraping sound could be a wear indication hitting the rotor. I suspect you need to turn or replace the rotors and check the pads for the postion of the indicator.

Thats what I was thinking too. But the thing is I JUST DID a brake job in like january of this year. There is no way the brakes have been worn down that much in less than 10k miles. The rotors were turned when I did the brake job to. I just think it might be something else because I wouldnt think those parts would be worn out after that little bit of use. If they are I seriously need to check my driving habits. :dunno:

Any other suggestions? I'm gonna tackle the brakes today after class. Anyone else have any ideas besides turning the rotors and checking the pads for extensive wear?

Rotor Issues

Usually, pulsating, or vibrating pedal is sign of rotors. Metal used in todays rotors much cheaper than in past but then, rotors cost alot cheaper now. I just did a brake job on my 95 and new rotors ran about $40 each, turning was not much cheaper. I know that is a hit, but with new pads, new rotors do run nice and smooth. Good luck.

I am more than familiar with the brakes on the second gen models. When my kid had this car, he drove the brakes down to the metal to the point where the clear coat anodize on the rims started to come off. What did he do? Turn up the stereo to block out the grinding noise until he remembered to ask Dad to look at it. "Youth is wasted on the young.

:usa:
FTM

I did my front brakes over a year ago, pads only. Last month, started getting really bad vibrations on the road, with or without braking. Found 2 2 1/2" marks on the right side rotor from the pads rubbing on a warped rotor.

When you change the pads, change the rotors:thumbsup:

Ok so I did the work monday and I found the rear brakes were due for a change. The metal piece on the brakes (I think it's called the chirper) was hitting the rotors and causing that noise. I replaced the pads and turned the rotors and now the noise is gone. I still have vibrations when I brake at speeds above 45 and its really annoying. I guess its time to get new rotors over christmas and change out the fronts. It just sucks because I just did a front brake job and turned the rotors on the front about 8-12 months ago. Could they warp in this short of time?

Ok so I did the work monday and I found the rear brakes were due for a change. The metal piece on the brakes (I think it's called the chirper) was hitting the rotors and causing that noise. I replaced the pads and turned the rotors and now the noise is gone. I still have vibrations when I brake at speeds above 45 and its really annoying. I guess its time to get new rotors over christmas and change out the fronts. It just sucks because I just did a front brake job and turned the rotors on the front about 8-12 months ago. Could they warp in this short of time?

do you have clean hubs? no rust? That could cause runout and warp rotors. Also, tighten lugs in a star pattern with a torque wrench.

My hubs are rusted. I tightened the lugs on all four tires with a lug wrench but I don't have a torque wrench. I guess I'll just buy new rotors over christmas and see if that does the trick since the hubs won't be rusted.

My hubs are rusted. I tightened the lugs on all four tires with a lug wrench but I don't have a torque wrench. I guess I'll just buy new rotors over christmas and see if that does the trick since the hubs won't be rusted.

try to clean the hub surface as much as possible. Sometime a product called naval jelly and steel wool works.

Warped brake disc's is more of a myth then a fact of what's actually happening.
The cause of brake judder is pad material transfer.

Here's some good reading that will explain what's causing it.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

I've switched pads and changed my braking technique and have never had brake judder return on any car I've owned in the past 8 years.

Although I've never tried it, that article explains how you can actually clean the rotor surface to correct brake judder. Logically, it makes complete sense.

Driver side front brake locks up

I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer and every week the driver side front brake locks up and gets hot. I have replaced the caliper, the hub, rotor, and the flexable brake line and the pads. It still locks up . I would like to know what the members of the fourm thinks is my problem. Thans for your imformation

Fritz Leithauser

Back