• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle w/ misfires--HELP!

lburnham84

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Sport
Long story short I just got my 2002 explorer sport 4.0 out of the shop because some @$$hole put sand/sugar in my tank. $1500 later I have 3 new fuel injectors, new lines, tank, fuel pump, fuel pump regulator and filter. When I took it in there was oil (I'm 99.9% sure its oil) covering the driver's side under the hood. It's all over the fan, hoses and anything else on that side, just in the front and I have NO CLUE where it's coming from. When it was in the shop they did the compression test and everything is normal. Now that it's out of the shop I noticed today that the CEL is back on a flashing so when I got the codes ran I get P0301 302 and 303. The fuel injectors where just replaced the those cylinders. Any ideas what else could be wrong? It idles rough when sitting at a light and the CEL flashes after sitting for over a minute. I was thinking about replacing the ignition coil to solve the idle problem? I'm running out of ideas :( :( :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the car was in the shop getting tests done, I was told everything was normal and it could be an electrical issue??? Sound accurate???

I'm running out of ideas

I have only 1 idea for you.

FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC.

I personally think he took you for a sweet ride with your sugar/sand issue.

Locking gas cap

A locking gas cap is a wise investment. It prevents someone from stealing gas as well as tampering with the gas.

Misfires are usually due to ignition, fuel injection and compression in that order. Ignition faults include plugs, wires, coil, and crank position sensor. Fuel injection faults include injectors, pump, pressure regulator, camshaft position sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor, MAF sensor, IAT sensor and O2 sensors. Compression faults include head gasket, cracked head, broken compression ring, burned valves/seats, broken valve springs, and slipped timing chain.

It can be very expensive to replace the above parts without first determining what needs replacement. I would first try to find the source of the leaking oil.

I tried looking to see where the oil is coming from and I can't find a leak! I'm twirling my thumbs waiting for my tax return to start buying parts. I'm thinking of starting the the ignition coil BUT that doesn't solve the oil problem :(

Don't get too excited about a tax return.....the gov't doesn't have the money for tax refunds right now...... (I'm not kidding)

do plugs and wires.

I had a misfire on my 98 Mounty and it was a bad wire, and the wire was only a few months old.

Also, did those idiots take off the negative battery cable and let the computer relearn the air/fuel curve with new injectors? I know I shouldn't EVER have to ask this, but it seems your mechanic(s) are legally retarded.

do plugs and wires.

I had a misfire on my 98 Mounty and it was a bad wire, and the wire was only a few months old.

Also, did those idiots take off the negative battery cable and let the computer relearn the air/fuel curve with new injectors? I know I shouldn't EVER have to ask this, but it seems your mechanic(s) are legally retarded.

Actually I thought the same thing when the CEL came on so I unplugged the negative battery cable and the light came back on :(

A locking gas cap is a wise investment. It prevents someone from stealing gas as well as tampering with the gas.

I actually bought one today! :) $12 @ Advance Auto w/ -$5 coupon :thumbsup:

i had this problem today idk if you got it solved but i was having misfires and rough ideling in my 98 x witht eh 4.0L engine and it was caz the front cassett failed and the rear chains where failing and that fixed the misfires and then had to change the ignition coil to solve the ideling issue....

but beware to do all that in a dealership it will cost you around 3000 dollars and let me tell you unless you already have good money invested in your x do not do it

I have spent near $500 in fixing my rough idle just to find out it is because of two of four o2 sensor were kicking the bucket. Check them!

Back