Rough Idle when warmed up | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle when warmed up

That's great news

Thanks for posting your experience, this seems to be a very common problem.

Both my '94 Explorer's did this, and idled correctly after I serviced the injectors, changed the fuel filter, and treated the fuel system with Seafoam. That, combined with vacuum lines at the same time. Seems to solve multiple problems simultaneously. The rough idle when warm is annoying, my theory was it's a dirty injector problem. Maybe someone else could elaborate as to why it's after warm, I'm not convinced it's an injector "Heat soak", my best guess is cold start vs warm start engine operating program from the computer combined with dirty injectors.

Since the injector's are buried, you have to disassemble other related systems that can cause rough idle when cold. Servicing them netted me the similar mpg gains along with smooth acceleration and like you, I found vacuum leaks due to deteriorated connectors while disassembling the intake plenum. Since pretty much all the vacuum lines and connectors are exposed, they're easier to spot and go ahead and replace them as needed.

Wood1 is next when your originals arrive, I'm going to inspect and clean and ship them out to him. I'd like see if gains in mpg's are consistent. I'm curious to see is the condition your's are in to aide troubleshoot this annoying problem further. I have two sets of injectors reserved for my Aunt's and I's '94 Rangers. Her's rough idles when cold, and mine I'm just doing for preventative maintenance and fuel economy. That pretty much sums up my stock pile. I had 21 extras, but there were 3 of 18 that I wouldn't reuse, 3 failed a pressure check (leak fuel) and cannot be reconditioned.

Awesome job!

Back