• Register Today It's free!

rough start but now its back SOHC

bigtime57

Reaction score
City, State
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
i have a 99 SOHC auto 4x4 that i did the Oring/ tensioner recall and replaced the MAF and IAC and the rough idle stopped and the hard starts quit. . now after about 3 months its came back and now worse than ever. .i mean you crank and crank and crank and its so hard to get to start. . .and i even pump the gas and still hard to start ..tried the turning the key on and off several times before cranking and still nothing better .. .any suggestions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your fuel pressure at the rail when you try to start. Make sure the pump is pumping. If FP is normal, check plugs/wires/coils.

what should the fuel pressure be at the rail? i changed the fuel filter which was terribly nasty and that evening it started great ...the next morning was great. . .that evening was back to the same crank crank crank....do you think my fuel pump might be going bad?

The way it behaved when you changed the fuel filter is a clue there may be water in your fuel system.

Pour a couple bottles of gas dryer in the tank and drive it awhile

Do you hear the FP whining when you turn the key to on before going all the way to start? Pause and listen. If you don't hear it, check the FP Relay in the black box under the hood. Leave key in on position and try jiggling the relay and see if it kicks in.

Back