Routing Plug Wires on the 4.0 OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Routing Plug Wires on the 4.0 OHV

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
Doing a tune-up this weekend and that includes changing plugs and wires. I have the elbows, wobbles and beer to help me through the plug portion. I've also made sure that the little kids in my area will be safely stowed away at parks and shopping malls so that the profanity that is sure to erupt doesn't reach their innocent ears.

My question though is how do you best route the new cables under the intake. It seems like its going to be a pain. Is it one at a time? Do I need a coat hanger to pull them through? Do I need to remove the intake? If so, will there be a gasket issue? :confused: :scratch: :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doing a tune-up this weekend and that includes changing plugs and wires. I have the elbows, wobbles and beer to help me through the plug portion. I've also made sure that the little kids in my area will be safely stowed away at parks and shopping malls so that the profanity that is sure to erupt doesn't reach their innocent ears.

My question though is how do you best route the new cables under the intake. It seems like its going to be a pain. Is it one at a time? Do I need a coat hanger to pull them through? Do I need to remove the intake? If so, will there be a gasket issue? :confused: :scratch: :banghead:

My 96 OHV should be very similar. I don't see any wires under the intake(even in the service manual)! There are wires that go behind. Do not remove any intakes or gaskets. You may need a step ladder to get the wire around the back of the engine. Also, you can fish your new wire by taping it to the old one and gently pulling back. Be sure you remove all the clips before doing this. Use Motorcraft plugs and wires. I don't suggest anything else. You can get them from RockAuto or Autozone locally. Don't cut corners here. Don't forget tune up grease on the boots. Be sure to preserve the original wire order!

Item Part Number Description
1 W703402-S Clip, Quad
2 12287 Spark Plug Wire No. 4
3 12285 Spark Plug Wire No. 6
4 12282 Spark Plug Wire No. 5
5 12286 Spark Plug Wire No. 1
6 12283 Spark Plug Wire No. 2
7 12284 Spark Plug Wire No. 3
8 W700891-S Clip (4 Req'd)
9 E4AE-12297-CA Separator, 4-Way
10 W700891-S Clip
11 E865603-S Clip, Quad (2 Req'd)

CAUTION: Proper installation of spark plug wires is critical to vehicle operation. If one spark plug wire is not properly installed on spark plug or ignition coil, both spark plugs connected to that ignition coil may not fire under load.

Whenever a high tension wire is removed for any reason from a spark plug or ignition coil, or a new spark plug wire is installed, apply Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound D7AZ-19331-AA Motorcraft WAIO, or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C171-1C171-A to the boot prior to installation. Using a small, clean tool, coat the entire interior surface of the boot with the compound.

Install each spark plug wire on the proper ignition coil. Refer to the previous illustration which shows spark plug wire routing. The terminal cylinder numbers are identified on the ignition coil. Make sure that the coil wire boots are fully seated and that both coil boot retainer locking tabs have engaged. The 4.0L firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6.

Remove the wire retaining brackets from the old spark plug wires and install brackets in same relative position on the new wires. Install spark plug wires and retaining brackets on the engine (6007).

Connect spark plug wires to proper spark plugs.

well that's about as thorough a post as they get :thumbsup:

and thats how they were on my OHV as well

WOW, thanks 96! The only thing is that my wires don't go around the back. They go under this.

iac valve.jpg

This is from the IAC valve replacement thread, but my wires basically go under and just to the right of the IAC valve.

Thanks for the tips on the wires though. I bought a different brand and now I'm thinking I need to go elsewhere to get the proper wires. Anyplace sell the Ford Racing 9mm that someone in MD could go to? I'd hate to go to the stealership for this.

But thanks once again for such a thorough post! :thumbsup:

One other question. In regards to the cylinder locations, is it 1-2-3 on the right hand side (looking at the engine from the front of the truck) going from front to back and then 4-5-6 on the left, again front to back?

it should be on a sticker next to your radiator in the front of the truck

Thanks everyone! Still looking for suggestions on how to route the wires under the intake (is that the plenum?). I'll try to post a picture tonight when I get to the home pc and can upload my own pics.

WOW, thanks 96! The only thing is that my wires don't go around the back. They go under this.

This is from the IAC valve replacement thread, but my wires basically go under and just to the right of the IAC valve.

Thanks for the tips on the wires though. I bought a different brand and now I'm thinking I need to go elsewhere to get the proper wires. Anyplace sell the Ford Racing 9mm that someone in MD could go to? I'd hate to go to the stealership for this.

But thanks once again for such a thorough post! :thumbsup:

You are welcome :).

I did a bit of research and found that 97+ use a different Motorcraft wire p/n. It is possible that that the wires are routed differently. Unfortunately my Ford Service DVD has very general information for the 97+ models when it comes to spark plug replacement :( (nothing about an intake removal job though). Maybe someone else can help . Also, check for unused clips on the back of of the engine. Maybe someone took a shortcut and put wires under the intake during replacement (just a guess!).

Maybe someone took a shortcut and put wires under the intake during replacement (just a guess!).

Again, thanks for your continued effort. The originals, or rather the ones I'm replacing (OEM) were installed by a Ford dealer. The clips around the engine all seem to be oriented for the wires current routing location. It doesn't look like someone shortcutted it and if anything, it looks like the current routing might even be more difficult than going around the back of the engine as your manual shows.

I'll have to look around the engine tonight and see if I can see any other routing options. I doubt it though, because that would add quite a bit of distance to the wire run and there isn't any additional length in my current OEM set to go around the back of the engine instead.

Again, thanks for your continued effort. The originals, or rather the ones I'm replacing (OEM) were installed by a Ford dealer. The clips around the engine all seem to be oriented for the wires current routing location. It doesn't look like someone shortcutted it and if anything, it looks like the current routing might even be more difficult than going around the back of the engine as your manual shows.

I'll have to look around the engine tonight and see if I can see any other routing options. I doubt it though, because that would add quite a bit of distance to the wire run and there isn't any additional length in my current OEM set to go around the back of the engine instead.

The motorcraft.com site specifies a shorter plug wire length for your application so it sounds correct under the intake. Probably to save a bit of money during production. If the intake has to come off, be sure to get new gaskets.

Pushing and pulling spark plug wires through tight areas is not a good idea and could damage them. If I run into something like this, I usually stop by or call a dealer and ask a tech to be 100% sure.

Looks like this tune-up got a little more fun. I definitely agree that it is bad news pulling spark plug wires through a small hole like what is between the intake and the engine. I might as well do this right and use this as an exuse to replace the upper intake gaskets at the same time. For anyone following along, I will be using this awesome how-to thread as my guide.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171819&highlight=ohv+intake+gasket

Looks like Saturday is going to be a long day between this, getting Orioles tickets at 10 AM and going to a friend's (er, his girlfriend's) baby shower. Wonder if the ladies would be put off by grease under the finger nails? :scratch:

It appears that there are no intake plenum gaskets in all of Baltimore outside of the stealerships. Looks like the project gets delayed until next week. :banghead:

i did mine with out pulling any thing off just ran them under and around the back very care fully once you get the first one threw you work out the way the rest of them go threw there is a small gap witch go can thread them threw around the back of the engine and just under the thing on the top at the back

Thanks puzzell for trying to save me some labor, but the gaskets would have needed replacing sooner or later.

I did mine a month ago and did it without taking anything off and using my hands only, it helped that mine are small. It takes a little more time but not to bad of a job, just do it one at a time.

so how did the service go today?

I ran the wires under without a problem and I have some pretty big hands. I just fed the plug that goes on the spark plug under the intake then fed wire from the (standing in front of the engine) left to right side making sure to not just rip the wire through. Firing order goes from right to left from most forward right 1 then most forward left 2 middle right 3 and so on. I dunno why you can't use any other wires, I have bosch's on mine and haven't had any problems... Also I have never had much if any difficulty replacing my plugs (On my OHV or SOHC), maybe I'm doing something insanely genius but I highly doubt it.

so how did the service go today?

Thanks for checking. It got delayed until next weekend by the fact that there are no gasket kits in all of Baltimore, it seems. It looks like I might have to go through the dealership as long as it isn't too steep.

I may wait until Sunday though as I have a date planned for Saturday night up in Philly and I really don't want to be delayed or canceled due to mechanical difficulties.

I'm confident in my abilities and the support of the forum, but I'm also a realist and a lifelong Ford owner.:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GatoJeff - I was going crazy trying to locate the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets besides going to the stealer. I ended up getting at a local NAPA auto part store. They had an entire kit that included the upper and lower intake maifold gaskets for about 30 dollars. At the same time i knew i had to remove the injectors so to be safe i got 12 new injector O rings. What the hell you are there might as well change them. I dont have the part number sorry but call a napa and see what they say.

As for the spark plug wires they will fit under the intake without any issues. i actually ran them before i put back the intake but i did do a tune up when i got the truck without removing the intake and had no big problems. The wires i got where motor craft from summit racing and the lenght of the wires were exact.

Good luck.

Back