Routing Through Firewall | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Routing Through Firewall

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to install a 2-way radio, but cannot find where to run the wire through the firewall. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, I'm looking to install a 2-way radio, but cannot find where to run the wire through the firewall. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

there is a rubber plug passenger side top left look under glovebox, it is used for the windshield washer reservoir, I use a flexable rod and poke thru form inside out, it helps if you spray wd-40 on the wires so it slide easily, I did it dry a couple of times and I accidenty pulled the grommett thru and it was a pain to reseat.

there is a rubber plug passenger side top left look under glovebox, it is used for the windshield washer reservoir, I use a flexable rod and poke thru form inside out, it helps if you spray wd-40 on the wires so it slide easily, I did it dry a couple of times and I accidenty pulled the grommett thru and it was a pain to reseat.

vipersinu2, Could you please help me alittle on the location of the plug? I can't seem to find the plug from inside. Carpeting and plastic cover everything in that area. Is it behind the glove box? If so how did you get to it? Or can I see it from the outside?

Thanks

I did finally find the plug. It is a serious pain in the a$$ to get to. I had to remove the glove box and some plastic cover under the glove box. And still could barely see the plug. One of the screws I couldn't put back when I put everything back. I did notice that there is another plug on the driver side. It is for the hood release pass thru, but it also is next to impossible to access from either side. I'm trying to run a single wire thru the firewall. I would hate to have to run thru the door jam but I looks like that is the only option that doesn't involve removing the whole front console for one wire.

Which option did you take for the wire, I'm doing the same.

I gave up trying to use either plug. I actually decided to just drill a new hole on the driver side floor board. Sealed it will silicone and taped the wire to the under side of the body. My Ex is silver and so is the duct tape so it didn't look to bad but it is obvious from under the car only.

Thanks, I'll try the plugs first ...

Thanks for the advice. I went through the existing plug on the passenger side under the glove box where the wiper fluid hose runs, and had no problems.

Thanks for the advice. I went through the existing plug on the passenger side under the glove box where the wiper fluid hose runs, and had no problems.

Ran my 4 gauge amp power wire through there as well, no issues. Easiest run through the firewall I've ever done.

What has to be removed in the area of the glove box to get to the plug? Also, once the wire is pushed through, will I need to get beneath the truck to get to it from the outside?

Thanks, Peter. I actually discovered a grommet in the floor behind the driver's seat. The carpet splits right there, as well, so I'm going to run the wire underneath the car and enclose it in tubing.

Thanks everyone for this thread. Took a good hard look at my '15 the other day and thought "This is going to be a PITA!" Never had such a difficult time trying to find a way through the firewall before. I'll have to take off the glovebox this weekend and get it done.

Tony

Ummmm...no.

I would love some help from those of you who have routed their power cables behind the glove box. I just took it apart and I don't see any way how this is humanly possible. I've ran 4 and 0/1 power gauge wires through the firewalls of almost all the vehicles I've owned for the last 27 years, and after looking behind the glove box area of the Explorer, I'm pretty stumped.

Here's a picture behind the glove box after it and the felt-lined owner's manual pocket above it have been removed. The yellow arrow points to the rear windshield washer line. Where this line runs through the firewall is buried FAR behind and around the corner out of sight. No way of running a wire through from this side.

Behindglovebox_zps1fa0b298.jpg

Here's the view from the engine compartment. The line runs behind the strut tower. It would take Rubberband Man to get anything back there. I couldn't even begin to get a coat hanger wire back there, much less be able to see what I was doing.

Firewall1_zps2a31c6d6.jpg

Any ideas? At least in the 2015 Sport model, this myth has been BUSTED!

Tony

Okay, all done. Ditched the behind-the-glovebox idea. Instead I ran my 4-gauge along the strut tower bar, down beside the engine to the floorpan and then up through the floorboard. Not too difficult.

Upper right-hand corner of the passenger floorboard:
Floorboard1_zpsd2383098.jpg

View from underneath:
Floorboard2_zps90eca752.jpg

Power wire up through the floorboard w/ grommet:
Floorboard4_zps469b024e.jpg

View from underneath after everything's zip tied and wrapped in split loom:
Floorboard3_zps69b8b006.jpg

Very nice job. Looks professional. :thumbsup:

Peter

Passageway through firewall 2015

Have a 2015 Exp XLT and need to get a wire from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment. Has anyone found a way? I can go through either the drivers or passenger side. Perfer to do this the easiest and least damaging way. Help Thanks

Go to www.fordpoliceinterceptor.com

Download the Upfitters guide and it explains there how to use the existing pass through behind the glove box.

Have a 2015 Exp XLT and need to get a wire from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment. Has anyone found a way? I can go through either the drivers or passenger side. Perfer to do this the easiest and least damaging way. Help Thanks
Welcome to the Forum LSMITH2509.:wavey:
Using the Forum's 'Search' feature, I found this thread and merged yours with it. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tony, the hole you show from above, was it there or did you make the hole? As far as behind the glove box idea, it to is a no-go for the XLT model also.

Back