• Register Today It's free!

RTV on a timing cover gasket?

oxic_berry

Reaction score
City, State
Ypsilanti, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited Explorer
heya. so i'm rebuilding my explorer with all stock parts (this my first overhaul so i didn't want to over complicate things) and i'm now getting ready to put the timing cover on.

the new engine came with paper gaskets (which i know aren't great) so i was told to put some blue RTV around the holes that transfer coolant into the water pump. should i RTV the whole gasket or just the area around those holes? also, not sure how much RTV is too much.. any help would be great! thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just around the passages. A relatively thin film will do. It doesn't need to be thick.

I put a light coat on both sides, evenly. The more you use, the less likely you are to ever get it off again. The cover that is.

There's many schools of thought from only use the OEM gasket, nothing extra, and torque evenly in small increments. To the other side that will use only RTV. I'm somewhere in the middle, with a bit of practicality mixed in. RTV is great when pressure isn't involved. Timing cover, diff cover, valve cover (though, timing and valve will have a vacuum). The most practical advice I can give you is what I did on my own vehicle. RTV the gasket to the block. That is, adhere the gasket to the block with a thin layer of RTV. Why? RTV peels off cleanly. If you or someone else has to replace the timing cover gasket again, they will be singing your praises for not having to clean crusted paper gasket off the block surface while twisted 7 different ways under the hood.

I'd use Permatex Black or The Right Stuff. The latter cures real quick so have everything prepped and able to put back together in minutes.

I second that. A thin layer on the gasket and on the block, give it a bit to set and put it together. I have done that with every engine I have torn down since the 90s and am probably around 98% for no leaks.

Back