Rubber trim is shedding black gook -- will Mother's seal it up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rubber trim is shedding black gook -- will Mother's seal it up?

The rubber trim around the windows of my 95 XT is starting to shed black gook. After washing the truck, I can run a rag across the rubber trim and it comes away black. Also, the black stuff is faintly streaking the paint on the body panels below the windows after a wash. I've seen a lot of good words in this forum about Mother's Back to Black softening and restoring color. Will Mother's seal the rubber and stop it from shedding? Is there anything else I should do? Thanks for any advice -- this seems to be a common problem with weather-worn rubber trim.

I use 303 Areospace stuff on the rubber trim. I think you will always get some black on a towel after washing & wiping the rubber. 303 lasts a couple of weeks and doesnt run off after a rain.

new 05 car puts black stuff on the drying towel... so its perfectly normal. Every car I have ever had has done this. The only time something didnt do this, the rubber was all dry and cracked falling apart. So I take this as a normal sign.

As for the run off after it rains though, im sure waxing it will help it. but the black marks when rubbing something over it will always happen

Just did a search on the 303 sounds good. Going to try it on the old B11 rubber gaskets and on the wiper blades of the Ex.

Back