• Register Today It's free!

Running a Wristed Arm on a DD

zainyD

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Ranger 4x4 XLT
I built a wristed radius arm, but I'm not sure if I want to use it or not. I have a SAS'd 96 Ranger and I'm wondering if anybody here has experience running a wristed arm on a DD? Any vibrations or problems with it on the street? Strength is not what I'm worried about, it's streetability. I know Froader runs one on his Ex, anybody else?

I'm going to be extending my radius arms and I'm not sure whether I want to just extend two stock arms or entend the wristed arm and one stock arm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't speak for the wristed arm rigs out there although I wheel with Froader and he drives his to/from the trails and he's never mentioned any problems.

As for extending your wristed arm, it's not necessary. The wristed arm takes care of some of the binding that is a problem with radius arms as you know.
If you're running regular radius arms then you'd want to extend them to get the same effect as the wristed arm set up.

Sureshot40sw has a wristed arm on his rig, it drives fine on the street. You build a pin into the setup so you dont even notice the fact that its wristed while the pin is installed.

I see alot of people doing both wristed and extended and i dont understand why because it defeats the purpose of wristing an arm. The wristed arm idea came about so you can have a short arm that flexes just as good as a long arm... thus you get the flex of an extended arm but have the good ground clearance and breakover angle as a short arm. Doing both is really pointless as EITHER a wristed arm OR an extended arm will usually outflex any coil you run. :)

James, thanks for the input. I PM'ed Sureshot over on Pirate and he said the exact same thing. I already have a wristed arm built so I think I'm gonna try that first and see how I like it. If it's not what I'm looking for I'll go ahead and extend two stock arms.

Yeah, I've never noticed a difference whether I have the pin in or out on the street. That's why I just leave it out. :)
From driving sureshot's rig, it only seems to make it wobbly at interstate speeds and hard stops. Around town i dont think you'd even notice it unpinned.

My long arms, they go down...and them stop...Like you said, they out flex the springs...

I run a SAS with long arms and still lift a tire! :rant:

That is all! :p:

Just need that front loker now..:rolleyes:

Back