Running rough with blue-gray exhaust??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running rough with blue-gray exhaust???

LadyDivinitie

Reaction score
City, State
Buckeye, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
Hi Guys!!
First off I would like to thank you all for the wealth of knowledge you share with us when we need it ;).
Okay, here's my problem. I have a 1995 Explorer, AT, Eddie Bauer, 4x4, 4.0L, 6 cylinder nightmare (Honestly, we've started calling her the "Black Pearl). She started with a rough idle that went away when you stepped on the gas. Then the stumble got progressively worse over a few weeks. I had my hubby pull the plugs and check them and they were gapped wrong. So we bought a gap tool that had the right size and gapped them. The next day she had a really hard start and was chugging really bad and smelling strongly of exhaust around the hood area. Plug wires are brand new, spark plugs okay, cleaned IAC and throttle body and checked fuel filter, fuel relay checks out, fuel pump is whining on start up.
We did grounded the test lead to get the engine light to blink error codes and we got a 111 KOEO and 543 CM. So we thought we were on the right track to finding the problem since it seemed to be in the fuel system.
Last night after cleaning some of the things listed we put her back together and the idle was no better and no worse. I gunned her a bit to see what higher RPM would do for the stumbling and chugging. That's when we realized she is billowing blue gray smoke from the exhaust.
What could cause this? Hubby is thinking valves, but we are novice mechanics here....so what do you think? Is it time for an old preist and a young priest? Or is this fixable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many thousand miles on your explorer? Heres my suggestions:
Blue smoke is generally caused by the burning of an oil in the combustion chamber. Weak piston rings, bad valve guides, bad valve seals, PCV system (usually due to lack of oil changes).

Mileage

She has arouuuund 236,000 miles on her. I bought her used three years ago. I have taken good care of oil changes, but before that I don't know.

Rebuild

Blue-gray smoke and around 250k. If you have a compression tester and a leak down checker use em....im not sure what psi we need to hit but all cylinders should be within 10% (atleast for the race engines i build):eek:.

Compression

Hubby is in garage right now with compression tester. I will post what he finds when he finishes. I know she's got alot of miles on her, but she's our only vehicle. Can't afford a rebuild or new engine right now, we're trying to get her though 'till return comes in. Thanks for all your help. Talk to you all soon!:D

in a pinch, maybe grab a used engine from the junk yard and throw it in in the meantime. How handy is the hubby?

it could be something as simple as valve stems seals....i replaced them on my mustang pretty cheap.

Good luck. Sorry to hear about your possible problem. Lets pray its not a big one.

Results of Compression Testing

Compression test shows that all cylinders but #5 test at 125-140 PSI. #5 gave no reading. Does this tell anyone anything along with all the other info I have given? Also, spark plugs have gone from okay to some fouled black. With #5's plug the electrode exploded and the ceramic insulation was cracked but not shattered. The plugs on that side of the engine were all fouled black, the ones on the other side are still in good shape. Any thoughts????

Hello?????

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my truck? It's been a few days and I am not hearing anything from anyone. HELP!!!!

its hard to diagnose over the internet. Sounds like you have major oil blow by on #5 causing the smoke. with the loss of compression it could be a head gasket or your rings failed or worse. I would suggest getting it checked out asap. sorry we couldnt be of more help.

if cyl #5 has no compression its bad news
The top of your engine needs to be torn down to find the issue...

Or you could do like me and get rid of that engine and replace with a junk yard one.
Make absolutely sure the compression tester is installed properly and #5 is dead. 0 compression is not good.

Thanks

We figured it was not a good sign. Yeah, cyl #5 doesn't even move the tester needle. We made sure it was hooked up good and tested it 3 times. I hope you all will bow your heads and imagine "Taps" playing softly in the background....I think my truck is dead :salute: She has other issues on top of the engine thing....so I believe to the junkyard she will go. Thanks to all of you again for sharing your knowledge.

Div

good news is you can replace her fairly easily (not talking about money...about availability)

so you need to drive it and get hit...and then insurance will cover it..LOL

If she would move I would take her out into the desert and blow her up...hee hee. Insurance covers arson, right? Yeah, I know there are plenty of the old girls out there, but I was very attached to Darlene (Yes, I name my vehicles). Thanks again for the help and say some prayers that God will bless me with another good Ford :).

Back