• Register Today It's free!

Rust on rear liftgate glass

GeorgeR

Reaction score
City, State
SE FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I've been through the search and I know I have seen comment on it, but I can't find it.
So, how about a little help please.
What's the best way to remove the rust stains from the glass lift gate. I've repainted the hinge buttons but I don't really want to wait for the stains to wear off. So how do we do it guys?????????????
Thanks GR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been through the search and I know I have seen comment on it, but I can't find it.
So, how about a little help please.
What's the best way to remove the rust stains from the glass lift gate. I've repainted the hinge buttons but I don't really want to wait for the stains to wear off. So how do we do it guys?????????????
Thanks GR

picture... please?

I cleaned mine lastnigh, just use a sharp razor blade

I replaced one and sand blasted the other "button" and used rust prep on it and painted, some trucks have reverse threads on the buttons depending on the year, I figured that out after I drilled one :). I used a 2-3" buffing pad on a high speed grinder with metal polish since Im lazy, but they can be removed, just stay away from SOS pads or razors etc, might scratch.

rozors wont scratch glass, unless its some rusted and dinged up blade you found in the bottom of your tool box.

"might" has to be brand new and not catch an edge

I bought the 100 blade pack from mac tools aand just put them in my scraper...I use blades everyday scraping off MTO safety stickers and for service reminders, never onced scrached glass.

well beside scraping off the black windshield tint one time

how do you scrape the inside convex of the glass?, up and down or left and right, I would think the edge would touch, never tried it on the inside yet.

how do you scrape the inside convex of the glass?, up and down or left and right, I would think the edge would touch, never tried it on the inside yet.

Your note made me think, which is unusual any more. I just went out and looked again, and bless my soul, I think that the stain is on the "inside" of the glass between the mask and the glass. Which adds a new dimension to the problem. I'm going to investigate further to be sure. But, does anyone know what the mask is composed of?? It looks like a pain to get to what with removing the trim etc. I may just leave it as is for a while. Has anyone had a similar problem???:confused:

are you sure, it looked internal but havent seen one that cant be rubbed or scraped off? yet :D

Back