• Register Today It's free!

Rust stains on rear window

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
The outside caps on my rear window struts have left some nasty rust stains on the glass. I have tried Acetone, CLR, Windex to remove them with no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

Ford could have used Aluminium on these for about 5 cents more, and avoided this problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use a razor blade scraper with a new blade so you don't scratch the glass.

Paint the caps with a rust inhibitor paint so the rust stains don't return.

Steel Wool works great.

Aluminum wouldn't hold up to the pressures the struts put out. You can remove those buttons from the struts, wire brush them and paint them.

You are recomending using steel wool on glass? I think that would leave permanent scratches. As for the pressure the struts put out, it is only a few pounds to lift the glass hatch. Ford used steel to save money. I have seen plastic on other makes and with no problems. Aluminium would have been fine. I had the same problem with my 91 Exploder. It looks to me as if the glass has been etched by the rust. If I can get it cleaned, I will order new caps, no point in trying to paint these.

Ford is notorius for saving money where they can. The front seat brackets on my truck are bare metal. There are now all rusted. Same with the parking brake bracket. Very sad, no wonder they are losing market share to imports.

I got the same problem, but it's just starting, doesn't really bother me.

If you use a pretty light grit steel wool (higher the number) it cleans glass very well without leaving any scratches, I didn't believe it at first but then I decided to try it out....worked great to remove baked on window paint that some friends wrote all over my car with

Sparky you are the Man! I only have Med Steel wool, but it took the marks right off.

Now it's off to the Stealer to order some new STEEL caps.

Good to hear, Good to hear...but Mgreen was the one who posted the idea first, I just gave some more recomendation...

Hi guys. I had that problem with the rust stain on my window. I got rid of it by using Fine grit rubbing compound. I didn't even have to rub hard at all, I just wipe on and wiped off. Not a scratch... I think it was Mcguires brand or something like that.. It's been a year since using it and it hasn't come back. Although I painted the shock attachments black again.

Back