• Register Today It's free!

Lift Gate Glass

haphop

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000XLT 5.0
Really good forum here, I've searched but haven't found any complaints with this problem. My lift gate glass is slipping side to side to the pointed it is chipping the paint.

How are the hinges attached to the gate? Are they replaceable? I do not see how to remove them to replace them, need some help!

2000XLT 5.0 163k mi

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really good forum here, I've searched but haven't found any complaints with this problem. My lift gate glass is slipping side to side to the pointed it is chipping the paint.

How are the hinges attached to the gate? Are they replaceable? I do not see how to remove them to replace them, need some help!

2000XLT 5.0 163k mi

The hinges should be attached to the glass and to the tailgate. It should not be able to shift that far side-to-side... Is it possible that the hinges have come loose from the tailgate maybe?

The hinges should be attached to the glass and to the tailgate. It should not be able to shift that far side-to-side... Is it possible that the hinges have come loose from the tailgate maybe?

that is my guess as well.

quick fix if so, a 8mm socket (99% sure) and 1 minute of your time tightening the bolts should do it (line the glass up first obviously). the bolts are accessible by opening the glass. just open it and look up, there are two bolts per side.

2000XLT 5.0 163k mi

i dont think you can replace the hinges as they are inserted/molded in the glass (im guessing). you could easily just buy a new lift gate glass (from junkyard/craigslist) if the hinges end up being bad. and if that is the case, i just happen to have one sitting in my garage just taking up space. ;).

im guessing the bolts just came loose though.
:salute:

i dont think you can replace the hinges as they are inserted/molded in the glass

the more i think about it, you might be able to. i believe there might be a way to pop the round plastic piece off the outside of the glass. i would just replace the glass though instead of doing all of that. you can get them cheap enough.

Back